Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico Score in Relation to Balances

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Fico Score in Relation to Balances

I just found something out about my fico score. I have one line of credit & seven credit card accounts. The line of credit, which is also a revolving account, was paid off in full to a zero balance. The one credit card was paid down to 47% utilization. Some of the other accounts were in the 80's & some in the 90's as far as the utilization goes. My score only went up to 672 from 664. If anyone else is in this similar situation there is one very important fact. The score looks at the overall utilization balances as well as each individual account. So in order for my score to go even higher I need to bring down both the utilization percentages as well as the individual account utilization down.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fico Score in Relation to Balances

@CreditBob wrote:

I just found something out about my fico score. I have one line of credit & seven credit card accounts. The line of credit, which is also a revolving account, was paid off in full to a zero balance. The one credit card was paid down to 47% utilization. Some of the other accounts were in the 80's & some in the 90's as far as the utilization goes. My score only went up to 672 from 664. If anyone else is in this similar situation there is one very important fact. The score looks at the overall utilization balances as well as each individual account. So in order for my score to go even higher I need to bring down both the utilization percentages as well as the individual account utilization down.

That's exactly right plus scoring looks at the number of accounts reporting at any one time so that's also something you can learn to manage to help your score.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.