Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico drop has me stumped.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico drop has me stumped.

Just got a Score Watch alert that my Fico dropped four points. 809 to 805.  Ok, I know its not that big a deal, but it does not make any sense.

I get the alert posted 6/11/08.  On the alert there is no explination as to why it dropped, just that it dropped four points.  Yes, there are the canned responces on the page, all dealing with over credit limit, large purchased, late payment etc....

I carry -0- balances on all my credit cards, no lates, nothing.

The last reported card was Household Visa on 5/14/08 for $144.00, which was paid off.

I use an AMEX company card for all my purchases.  The only time I use the Household is when I am an Sams Club, as they don;t take AMEX.

So would someone please give me a better understanding as to why a Fico score just drops for no reason at all.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Fico drop has me stumped.

Did the last report show a balance  but this report show PIF?
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your cards are reporting 0 balances this may be hurting your score slightly. You might want a small amount to report before paying in full.

Though unlikely, it is also possible you were rebucketed, maybe you hit an anniversary and got moved into a longer credit history bucket and thus are graded slightly lower on an especially picky curve.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be your score updated on 6/11 and was surprised by that $144 on your card 5/14. If you don't use cards for a while then pull one out of the blue and use it FICO gets scared.

I had this happen to me when I pulled out a credit card for vacation when I hadn't used CC's in over 1 year. So I make sure that the one card now reports something every month and I haven't lost the points since...I think FICO got used to seeing a small balance.
Message 4 of 6
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

Earlier this year, my EQ and EX scores dropped slightly, for no apparent reason. 

In 2007, my EX FICO score remained at 839 for most of the year.  In January of this year, that score dropped to 831.  My EQ score also dropped that month from 804 to 802.  My amount of revolving debt had actually decreased during that time period. 

I discussed this with other moderators, and we really could only conclude that scores can fluctuate from time to time, without reason. 

All I can say is, you're not alone!!!

Message Edited by psychic on 06-14-2008 06:44 PM
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once your score goes over 775 or so, you're considerably above the mean, and the system looks for an "excuse" to pull your score down. Increasing the balance on a credit card 20% or so, or applying for credit will usually cost you several points. Solar flares, shark attacks off Hawaii or pork-barrel price fluctuations may also perturb the FICO computers and cause the kind of small drop you described, too.

The bottom line is don't worry about it. Scores over 780 are really just for show anyway, as they don't give you better rates.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.