Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico score fell below 800 :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fico score fell below 800 :(

Getting to a 800+ score takes a lot of time and managing each and every aspect of payments, accounts, and bills perfectly. Maintaining a 800+ score is difficult too. One missed bill and your score can tank by over 100 points. New accounts are likely to tank your score as well. Single inquiries might only cost 5-10 points, but new accounts are more severe. Also whoever you're getting advice that says you have too few cards is taking advantage of you. You can have a 800+ score with only 1 or 2 credit cards. Also store brand cards are not ideal if you want a perfect score because they change lender too often. My advice is don't app anymore and stop your credit monitoring. The credit monitoring will keep giving you advice to app for new cards, loans, etc, when you really should apply for nothing if possible.

Message 11 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DU556 wrote:

How do you get your sig cards to show info when hovering over them?

In the code for the image, you insert a title. E.g. title="Barclay LL Bean Visa 3300". Whatever you have within the parentheses will show up when one hovers.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 19
DU556
Regular Contributor

"@BentTable...the Fico app is the one saying I have too few credit cards. I don't believe i do because I've already reached 800 with what i have. I didn't know new accounts dropped your score so much. I thought the inquiry was the 'bad' part of getting a credit card. I would like to get a really good cash back card but if it means dropping 24 points again, i don't think so.
Since store cards change lenders often, does that mean it doesn't help with AAoA since they are always being closed and reporting with another lender?
I've had my JCP card for 10 years but it shows it was barely opened 1.5yrs ago.
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's strange DU556. If they changed accounts on your JCP card, I would expect to see the old account and new account on your credit report. Because a closed account should still report for 7 years. Yes, I would stay away from getting any more store cards. I checked my spouse's Chase card, which was changed from mastercard to visa this year. Her report still shows the account having been open many years ago, so apparently Chase account number change didn't cause any new accounts in her credit report.

About the cash back card, you have an old Discover card. What kind of rewards are you earning? I'm pretty sure you can ask them to product change to Discover IT or Discover IT chrome without pulling your credit report. How about your AMEX card? I can't tell from your signature which one you have, but you might want to think about product changing to a blue cash everyday card (I don't know if AMEX does product changes) for the rewards.

Message 14 of 19
DU556
Regular Contributor

@BentTable my JCP card does show under the closed accounts with the old lender. Does this help my score at all? With aging I mean.
My miles discover card gives me 1% miles on every purchase and 2% on restaurants. Their new discover IT miles cards gives you 1.5% on everyday purchases but they won't do a product change. The weird thing is they'll switch me to the old cash back card they have with no problem but require hard inquiry if i want the new IT miles card. To me it seems moving me from a miles to miles card should be easier but it isn't.

As for Amex, I have the everyday points card but they don't allow me to switch to the blue everyday cash card because it's a different rewards program. Hard inquiry required again. The points i get on this card are only worth 0.70 for every dollar i spend. My discover miles are worth 1.0 for every $1 on amazon. For this reason, i have chosen to make my discover card my primary card.
I chatted with Amex online and they told me to call on the 24th to see if they can make an exception and switch me to the cash card. If they do, I'll make this my primary card.
Message 15 of 19
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

tja... the dropp in AAoA is an enemy for 800+ scores.. same for me ...800 score possible with AAoA of 6+ years on my profile but no longer in reach with less than 4 years  so keep gardening and it will get you back up Smiley Happy ... on the bright side 760+  Fico scores will not make any difference in real life ..lol.. rather have nice new cards than 800+ Fico if I have to choose !

Having an 800+ FICO is very doable with 4 year AAoA.  Mine was at 825 on TU with 4 years AAoA and oldest account being 6 years old.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My thought on this is, yes, you can have a 800+ with four years AAoA with probably three or slightly more cards, one installment loan with low utilization on all, no baddies.

Once you are in the 800 range, your score is more volatile, to new trade lines, inquiries, balances ect.

Suggest just sitting tight without adding inquiries or new trade lines if OPs goal is 800+, manage reasonable <1 to <4 UTI if possible. Sometimes the best plan of action is inaction :-)

Message 17 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@DU556 wrote:
@Anonymous my JCP card does show under the closed accounts with the old lender. Does this help my score at all? With aging I mean.
My miles discover card gives me 1% miles on every purchase and 2% on restaurants. Their new discover IT miles cards gives you 1.5% on everyday purchases but they won't do a product change. The weird thing is they'll switch me to the old cash back card they have with no problem but require hard inquiry if i want the new IT miles card. To me it seems moving me from a miles to miles card should be easier but it isn't.

As for Amex, I have the everyday points card but they don't allow me to switch to the blue everyday cash card because it's a different rewards program. Hard inquiry required again. The points i get on this card are only worth 0.70 for every dollar i spend. My discover miles are worth 1.0 for every $1 on amazon. For this reason, i have chosen to make my discover card my primary card.
I chatted with Amex online and they told me to call on the 24th to see if they can make an exception and switch me to the cash card. If they do, I'll make this my primary card.

If you are redeeming MR points for cash, yes, only .7c is likely. Gather them up and transfer to an airline like Flying Blue / Air France, and the value goes to more like 2c. Of course, you will need 50,000 points to make that happen, for a trip to europe for example, but it is possible.

And honestly, speaking with all due respect, if you are letting your FICO score dictate how you look at trying to work your existing cards into rewards they aren't going for, just go ahead and app the new card. App the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday and get it over with. You'll get a nice new larger CL, and get the rewards you want. If you want the newer Discover IT Miles or whatever card that is, app it and be done.

Will your score go down some? Yes, but no one writes a check to you each month your score is at 800 or above. Earning the bonus you want on spend, and sign up bonus however, that's some real money there.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 19
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Agree. Went for the AARP card and 200 bonus (pay off iPhone). Scores dropped between 9 and 13 puts for inquiries, and rise in util on one card. Now, I just garden, until I plan to apply for Chase Ink Cash. Still above 730, but cash is King. Saving my Discover and Freedom points for big cash disbursement (since Discover is 0 right now, though gets usage throughout month).
Signature needs updating
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.