Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico score question and mortgage lenders

tag
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

Fico score question and mortgage lenders

Sorry so long...I've been slowly but surely building my credit up.  I subscribe to USAA's credit monitoring service which goes thru Experian and allows all 3 credit scores every 30 days.  Last month, my scores were 680+ on 2 (Equifax and Transunion) and 620 on Experian because of a recent collection.  My loan officer pulled my credit and agreed.  He said I was good as long as 2 of the bureaus were 680 or above.  I disputed the recent collection and it was removed.  I pulled my credit score for Experian again and it went to 680. 

Last night my loan officier sent me the inital loan documents and I saw that my interest rate had increased by .25% and only my Equifax was over 680.  My Transunion had dropped to 673 and my Experian still showed 620.  I asked him about it today and he said that he pulled my scores 2 days ago and these were the new scores.  Neither I nor him could find a reason why my scores went down.  I get alerts whenever anything hits my credit and I haven't had any inquires or new lines of credit since I started the loan process.

My questions are:

1. Does the mortage company use a different algorithm then credit monitoring services, ie, Experian

2.  Why would my score change but neither one of us see a difference in my credit report explaining why. 

Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fico score question and mortgage lenders

Others have more expertise but here's what I've learned as we are going through the mortgage process.

Your LO should give you a copy of the credit report he pulled. They pull mortgage scores. On the credit report it will show you what they pulled. Most LO use a credit pulling firm to pull. It will say like FICO-II TU CLASSIC 04 BEACON 5 etc.

A) Be careful with your LO doing too many hard pulls. This alone can hurt your credit. When he pulled the credit report and the numbers/your score was good -- why wouldn't he just use that? I don't understand that. A credit pull by a lender is good for 90 days. To pull again 2 days later doesn't make sense. Even if it was just a "soft pull" on there part or an "update" pull to your score. Others can comment on this but to me it seems strange to pull 2 days later. Unless it was a "rapid rescore," maybe? Which is hit and miss from what I've read.

B) If your score changes and you don't know why -- it could be the inquiry it could be a mystery! This is what is so hard, I'm finding, in doing the mortgage process. They use different scores and it's very hard to get an accurate picture of what's going on. I've had no luck with MyFico alerts. It will claim more score jumps 7 points because of an address change. Really? (It was a typo that somehow got on there, I have no idea, I never changed my address). You would have to pull your reports (which is a soft pull and doesn't impact you) and analyze it and compare it to the previous one to figure it out and you still might not know.

That said, to me, 673 vs 680 doesn't seem like that much. I don't know if that should equal a .25% rate change. Maybe, I don't know enough about that. Maybe you're in a different tier then. Not sure. That said, if you look at your UTI and stuff hopefully you could get it back up there.

Message 2 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The monitoring solutions don't pick everything up unfortunately.  If you really want to know, have to go to the base reports.  TU and EQ behave similarly so if you have snapshots, can probably find a change.

Regarding scores, they are absolutely different than what the mortgage industry uses:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/FICO-scores-used-for-mortgage-and-where-to-obtain-the...

Reasons for that, cost and ease/availability are likely the dominant ones.  I think USAA is a VantageScore anyway.

        
Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Comments inline.

@Anonymous wrote:

Others have more expertise but here's what I've learned as we are going through the mortgage process.

Your LO should give you a copy of the credit report he pulled. They pull mortgage scores. On the credit report it will show you what they pulled. Most LO use a credit pulling firm to pull. It will say like FICO-II TU CLASSIC 04 BEACON 5 etc.

A) Be careful with your LO doing too many hard pulls. This alone can hurt your credit. When he pulled the credit report and the numbers/your score was good -- why wouldn't he just use that? I don't understand that. A credit pull by a lender is good for 90 days. To pull again 2 days later doesn't make sense. Even if it was just a "soft pull" on there part or an "update" pull to your score. Others can comment on this but to me it seems strange to pull 2 days later. Unless it was a "rapid rescore," maybe? Which is hit and miss from what I've read. Not sure why they did a double-tap, but doesn't matter: grace period of 30 days if the mortgage inquiries are properly coded (all mine were from 3 different lenders) and there's a 14-45 day rollup period where it will only count as a single scorable inquiry.  

B) If your score changes and you don't know why -- it could be the inquiry it could be a mystery! This is what is so hard, I'm finding, in doing the mortgage process. They use different scores and it's very hard to get an accurate picture of what's going on. I've had no luck with MyFico alerts. It will claim more score jumps 7 points because of an address change. Really? (It was a typo that somehow got on there, I have no idea, I never changed my address). You would have to pull your reports (which is a soft pull and doesn't impact you) and analyze it and compare it to the previous one to figure it out and you still might not know.  You're right on both counts that take the alerts with a grain of salt, the scores are different; however, FICO isn't capricious, if you have access to the base data it can be figured out virtually every time.  Something changed to account for a 7 point difference, might be small and hard to spot (age of tradelines or what not) or something obvious like a balance change.

That said, to me, 673 vs 680 doesn't seem like that much. I don't know if that should equal a .25% rate change. Maybe, I don't know enough about that. Maybe you're in a different tier then. Not sure. That said, if you look at your UTI and stuff hopefully you could get it back up there.  680 is a Tier for virtually every mortgage lender on the planet.  Certainly is for conventional and I think FHA loans too though I don't know those as well.  To us as consumers, a 7 point swing is whatever, except when we're in the mortgage process and playing on a tier boundary without a gold-plated score to begin with... then it matters a great deal.  Big enough that if it were me I'd be scrutenizing my reports, and if it were fixable I'd do so and have them pull again.

        
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Revelate,

Wow. I should post my scores and ask for your tips. It's so overwhelming and confusing.

My TU bumped up 40 pts and my XPN dropped 44 pts. In one week.

Making for a roller coaster of mortgage-underwriting process.

The only reliable score that matched my lender is the Equifax FICO SCORE WATCH - and here at MyFico - Beacon that is available to consumers.

TU and CreditKarma were closest for TU, under what TU was.

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Revelate,

Wow. I should post my scores and ask for your tips. It's so overwhelming and confusing.

The only reliable score that matched my lender is the Equifax FICO SCORE WATCH - and here at MyFico - Beacon that is available to consumers.

If you really want to know just go pull the 3B report from here.

Yes EQ Scorewatch = Beacon 5.0 and should match explicitly as a result.  You cannot get TU 04 anywhere else besides a lender pull, or from here either on a 1B or 3B pull.

EX 98 you can either get from PSECU membership if you happent to live in PA, or from a lender pull, or from here on either a 1B or 3B pull.

Linkies in the URL I posted earlier, frankly ignore every other score you can find on the planet other than what's in that one post as they won't be accurate for 99.9999% of the mortgages underwritten here in the United States.

I don't recall seeing your report data, if you toss it up to this forum we can help you optimize it.

        
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Revelate,

If you really want to know just go pull the 3B report from here.

Yes EQ Scorewatch = Beacon 5.0 and should match explicitly as a result.  You cannot get TU 04 anywhere else besides a lender pull, or from here either on a 1B or 3B pull.

EX 98 you can either get from PSECU membership if you happent to live in PA, or from a lender pull, or from here on either a 1B or 3B pull.

Linkies in the URL I posted earlier, frankly ignore every other score you can find on the planet other than what's in that one post as they won't be accurate for 99.9999% of the mortgages underwritten here in the United States.

I don't recall seeing your report data, if you toss it up to this forum we can help you optimize it.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I posted just the scores from last week and this week in the mortgage forum but ppl weren't too keen on helping. sigh.

I am not sure if you meant the whole report or the scores. I'd feel nervous doing the whole report but here are the scores

My lender pulled new FICO for underwriting FHA.

Last week:

BEACON 5.0 - 638 (EQ)

FICO II             664 (EX)

CLASSIC 04    613  (TU)

IN one week I had: Charge off deletion, 2 collection accounts removed, disputes removed.

TODAY:

BEACON 5.0 - 617 (EQ)

FICO II             620 (EX)

CLASSIC 04    652  (TU)

TransUnion became the top and Experian became the middle.

TransUnion went UP +39 points while Experian DROPPED -44 points!!! Equifax DROPPED -22.

So the fact that one went up 40 and one went down 40 AT THE SAME time -- has me baffled.

I'm confused and kind of overwhelmed!

My lender is doing a rapid but I wish I could understand it all better.

I will say this, CreditKarma had my TU at 649 -- so that was close!

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

When you have disputes all bets are off for any sort of score prediction or even score accuracy; hence mortgage lenders demanding they be removed.

EX moves differently as it's a different generation of the algorithm than what EQ/TU use, other than the disputes it's hard for me to suggest why they moved in opposite direction as for the big things they work similarly.

Really point in time optimization comes down to two things: getting as many derogatories as you can deleted (the more recent the more better), and then using cash to pay down your debts strategically or sometimes (rarely when we're talking mortgage) getting a consolidation loan.   Full report nah, but tradeline summary of current vs credit limit like:

Revolving:

Barclays 64/8400

BOFA 0/2500

etc.

Installment:

Alliant 43/500

as examples from my own report, can help with optimization if you haven't done that already.  Otherwise post your negatives in the Rebuilding forum and ask for further help on individual ones if you haven't done so already; you're making good progress.

        
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay thanks.

I think you're right because a dispute (I did probably 2 years ago) came off on the one that made it drop. I understand that now.

That's a good strategy to do more recent first.

Even though it doesn't matter to my score, to my conscience it matters that I have paid in full or settled all our debts. So they all say "Paid CO."

The rapid was removing 2 collections (PIF) and bringing an account to 0.

I hope this bumps us up even just a little.

I used the iQualifier simulator (it's very specific) so it will be interesting to see how accurate it is.

Thx for help!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.