Valued Member

Fico scoring ???

[ Edited ]
I was wondering when an account such as a collection updates every month does that continue to hurt your fico score? Would you loose points for the collection being on the report and then also every month when they report it after that?

If this is the case it is better to go ahead a pay a collection that reports every month. I've heard it won't help your score to pay a collection.

Message Edited by dallas01 on 04-29-2007 08:38 AM
Regular Contributor

Re: Fico scoring ???

My understanding is yes it does hurt your score but as it ages it is not as bad as lets say a new negative added to your report. Also a paid is better than unsatisfied but if you do pay expect to take a dip for that as well. I paid one and went down 16 points but in time i expect to recover those points.
Moderator Emeritus

[ Edited ]

dallas01 wrote:
I was wondering when an account such as a collection updates every month does that continue to hurt your fico score? Would you loose points for the collection being on the report and then also every month when they report it after that?

If this is the case it is better to go ahead a pay a collection that reports every month. I've heard it won't help your score to pay a collection.

Message Edited by dallas01 on 04-29-2007 08:38 AM

An account updating doesn't really hurt your score it just makes sure FICO never forgets.  If an account hasn't updated in sometime then decides 6 mos later to update the status THAT can hurt you as FICO tends to give less credence for accounts it considers inactive.  That being said, once a colelction is paid off it stops updating therefore having less and less impact as time passes

Message Edited by Brammy on 04-29-2007 11:53 AM
Valued Member

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the replys. Thats the info I needed.

I'm not sure about the fico score but my fako score with EQ dropped by 13 points and I can't figure out why. It doesn't look like anything has hit.

Message Edited by dallas01 on 04-29-2007 08:55 AM

Message Edited by dallas01 on 04-29-2007 08:56 AM
Regular Contributor

have you had any inquiries or CC increases? My wife got dinged for 7 points for one inquiry
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.