Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Final update 12/11] Car loan & installment loan thresholds

tag
Grafton88
Established Contributor

Re: My scores peaking, the calm before the storm

Thanks.

I am trying to stagger my loan terms.  I will still be paying on my personal loan when I get my auto loan.  I will still be paying on my auto loan when I get my mortgage.  

It will be interesting to see if that helps.

Message 11 of 102
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: [Updated] My scores peaking, the calm before the storm

At long last, over a month after I did the paperwork for the car loan, the loan hit my EX report.

Unfortunately the loan had already been partly paid down by the time it hit, so that my overall installment loan utilization was at 87.7% (including my share secured loan) when it hit.

So I (a) will never know whether the point drop would have been greater had the loan first reported when it was at 100%, and (b) have not learned whether 90% was a threshold or not. Sorry about that folks.

EX FICO8 dropped 20 points, from 723 to 703.

The FICO8 simulator had predicted 30 point drops on TU & EX, & 35 points on EQ, but the simulator wasn't counting on my loans being 12.3% paid down by the time the car loan registered, which may or may not have softened the blow.

Next up:

1. see what happens to TU and EQ FICO8's,

2. on 6/18 when 3B comes in see what happens to other FICO scores

3. then on to 79% Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 102
Grafton88
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

At long last, over a month after I did the paperwork for the car loan, the loan hit my EX report.

Unfortunately the loan had already been partly paid down by the time it hit, so that my overall installment loan utilization was at 87.7% (including my share secured loan) when it hit.

So I (a) will never know whether the point drop would have been greater had the loan first reported when it was at 100%, and (b) have not learned whether 90% was a threshold or not. Sorry about that folks.

The FICO8 simulator had predicted 30 point drops on TU & EX, & 35 points on EQ, but the simulator wasn't counting on my loans being 12.3% paid down by the time the car loan registered, which may or may not have softened the blow.

Next up:

Congrats on the new car and thanks for providing this information on your scores.

Message 13 of 102
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Next up:

Refresh my memory please do you recall how much you increased on your share secure loan testing assuming they were clean datapoints?

Mine were identical moves up and down across breakpoints and at the time my file was rigidly held flat through the mortgage process.

        
Message 14 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats & enjoy your new car!  Woman Very Happy

Message 15 of 102
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Grafton88 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Next up:

Congrats on the new car and thanks for providing this information on your scores.

Thanks, Grafton, much appreciated.

Message 16 of 102
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Next up:

Refresh my memory please do you recall how much you increased on your share secure loan testing assuming they were clean datapoints?

Mine were identical moves up and down across breakpoints and at the time my file was rigidly held flat through the mortgage process.

I couldn't remember either, had to go back and look. When my share secured loan utilization dropped from 15% to 9% my FICO8 scores picked up

28 points in EX FICO8

25 points in TU

and 33 points in EQ

Pretty bizarre if you ask me.

It was the difference between having a balance of $77 and a balance of $45.

Message 17 of 102
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats & enjoy your new car!  Woman Very Happy

Thanks Sandi Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 102
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Next up:

I couldn't remember either, had to go back and look. When my share secured loan utilization dropped from 15% to 9% my FICO8 scores picked up

28 points in EX FICO8

25 points in TU

and 33 points in EQ

Good point gains...

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 19 of 102
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Next up:

28 points in EX FICO8

25 points in TU

and 33 points in EQ

Incredible swing between percentages no doubt. That is the nature of FICO, bizarre

Congratulations SJ on the new ride Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.