cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally! Transunion pushed me into the 600's. What's with Equifax?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally! Transunion pushed me into the 600's. What's with Equifax?

I have been rebuilding since July from 400's.

A lot of my new cards just posted and brought my UTIL down, and helped my number of accounts in good standing.

Transunion pushed me into 603, Experian 598 and Equifax 569. All Fico 8.

What is with Equifax anyway? I don't have a single collection with Equifax and a cleaner report than Exp and Trans but somehow my score is lower by over 30 points? Shows 10/10 accounts in good standing but my fico is struggling.

Also, I know 600 is still considered fair / bad but it was a goal of mine haha. I'm pretty pumped.

What gives?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finally! Transunion pushed me into the 600's. What's with Equifax?

So, I have the opposite my Experian never changes I feel and my Equifax moves.

I don't understand the whole system in general but congrats on the 600!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

While on the outlier end of the spectrum, it is possible to have a 30-35 point variance between two scores using two different bureaus that contain the same data.  The greatest variance I have read about on this forum is 36 points.

Message 3 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on the improvement OP! It is always a good feeling to achieve goals. 

As noted, the score differential can be rather wide. The score gyrations as your file generally improves over time can be Mr Toad’s Wild Ride, but the trend will be up. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

While on the outlier end of the spectrum, it is possible to have a 30-35 point variance between two scores using two different bureaus that contain the same data.  The greatest variance I have read about on this forum is 36 points.

Right now, there's a 20-point variance between my lowest (TU, at 676) and highest (EX, at 696) scores, with EQ only three points (693) off EX. Since I've started regularly monitoring my FICO's, TU has consistently been between 20 and 30 points lower than the other two bureaus, which I now attribute, at least in part, to what I recently found out about TU's handling retail-card scoring differently than EQ and EX. (I don't remember the exact thread but it was here on these boards a few weeks back.)

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Fair Isaac conducted regular webinars via this site several years ago, and your issue was specifically discussed by them in several of their webinars.

Their statement was that they vend slightly different versions of their algorithms to each CRA, tailored to their individual views, and that even with the same exact data with each CRA, the resulting scores can vary by as much as 30 points.

You are within their normally-stated variation range.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.