cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fine Turning?

tag
markg2

Fine Turning?

We have a good FICO score and have maintained excellent credit for many years. It seems that our seemingly credit positive lifestyle doesn't always reflect accordingly with the credit watch company's algorithms. Does anyone know if it is possible to receive specific counsel from a FICO representative to fine tune our credit card use? Thanks, Mark
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fine Turning?

markg2 wrote:
We have a good FICO score and have maintained excellent credit for many years. It seems that our seemingly credit positive lifestyle doesn't always reflect accordingly with the credit watch company's algorithms. Does anyone know if it is possible to receive specific counsel from a FICO representative to fine tune our credit card use? Thanks, Mark

Probably not as the Fico system is very secretive about the specifics that go into calculatigng your scores.  What are your current score?  Anything over 740 will get yuo prime rates on everything

Message 2 of 3
markg2

Re: Fine Turning?

Thanks...I wasn't holding out much hope that they would get directly involved. The score from each of the 3 credit services as interpreted by FICO was something like 790, 800 and 805. We mostly use the credit card versus check for the award points and always pay our monthly balances off. We were really annoyed to see that the system does not award that behavior at all...which makes zero sense. The main hit was too high a balance on the credit card account (even though the activity has a record of always being paid off entirely, monthly) so I increased the limit on the card we use the most allowing the utilization to fall under 30%. My wife has two cards she never uses but are in her own name and have been for some time and she (for good reason) wants to keep that credit history alive. She increased the limit on those two cards also. I know that a mortgage company adds all the available credit lines as a measure of exposure so I'd most likely reduce the limits if we should sell and purchase again. We got marked down for too many cards years ago and made the decision to no longer hold retail store cards then found that even though the cards were closed by us with zero balances, the credit service still regards those cards for years after closure in their credit calculations. I don't suppose the period of time a closed card remains in FICO's calculations is available? Mark

Message Edited by markg2 on 04-19-2007 09:51 AM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.