cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First late payment in 25 years of credit history....now what?

tag
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: First late payment in 25 years of credit history....now what?

Don't give up so easily. It took me a year to get one 30-day removed. You just need to continuing trying, perhaps calling a few times a month until success. My story:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Capital-One-30-Day-Removal-Request-Update-Suc...

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

To prevent this from happening in the future, I suggest setting up autopay for all your accounts for the minimum amount due.  This way if you forget you're covered and risk only paying a little bit of interest until you pay off the balance.  I do this for all my accounts except for my AMEX Gold card which I pay in full.  I have the pay over time option on it in case I run up a big bill.  It has no MR points (discontinued senior card) but I use it for trips like to Las Vegas to make sure I'm not tempted to blow money in certain places...and it looks nice.  It's 25 years old so I keep it open.

Message 12 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The creditor was Fifth Third Bank.  I've had various accounts with them since 2008.  This particular account was on a Fifth Third credit card that I've had opened for about 3 years.  It's a card I rarely used, sans a few times.  It simply wasn't on my radar and I take ownership of that.  Trust me when I say I went all the way up the chain of command, to the lead manager of the call center to plead my case.  They listened to the tapes of a conversation I had with a customer service agent on the day that I thought it was paid.  In their eyes, there wasn't enough evidence to show any wrong doing on their part.  To make a long story short, I missed a payment on it by a few days (again it wasn't a primary card on my radar, I own that).  I called the call center and politely apologized.  They reversed the late payment penalty as a courtesy (but the minimum payment was still due).  At the same time, I was mistaken that he also processed the minimum payment that was due.  He did not, because apparently I didn't ask him to.  About 5 days after the 30 day late point, I paid the card off in full, thinking I wiped my hands clean of it, not knowing I was late!.  Flash foward two months later, I was out shopping for a car and I was being presented with pretty crappy financing terms (which I thought was strange) so I decided to run my credit and bam...that's when I discovered the issue.

Someone suggested creditkarma.com?  Otherwise thanks for all the awesome feedback!

Thanks for the details. This is another case where I suggest people only work with a CSR on one topic at a time. Get that topic figured out, then hang up and deal with another topic. They like getting a lot of calls, that take only a few minutes to solve, because it helps their metrics. As a result, they tend to be focused on "what is the one thing this customer wants?" and try to hang up after that.

As suggested, recommended that everyone have autopayment set up on all cards for at least the minimum payment, and let the card company determine Minimum Payment for any given month. And verify the first few times it should be triggered that it is working. And verify the bank account you are using has cash available. And check your statements periodically. And go on line to check the on line account.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.