New Visitor
eedward

For Transunion Fico score, is it better to have 0% credit utilization or between 1%-9% on one card

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to bump my Transunion score up 5-10 points (it's my middle score, and will likely remain so until I close on my mortgage).  I currently have 2 credit card accounts at 0% credit utilization and 3 student loan accounts within monthly payments. When I look at my MyFico Transunion Credit Report, it states that Accounts with Balances is hurting my score (the 3 student loan accounts--surprised they are considered in the same category as my credit card accounts, but they are), while Low Credit Usage (0%) is helping my score.  However, I've read that having between 1%-9% on one of your credit cards (I again now have $0 balance on both cards) will raise your score.  Again I ask because I need to raise my score by 5-10 points.  Would it be better to get something on one of the cards and have it report as, say, a 3% credit utilization, or is this a pointless strategy?  Thanks for any help understanding this.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: For Transunion Fico score, is it better to have 0% credit utilization or between 1%-9% on one ca

I've never tinkered with the numbers when loans were included. We tell folks to pay all balances to $0 except for one and get one to report between 1% and 9%. That's because all $0 balances will result in a ding. Conversely, having most of your reported TLs (loans included) reporting a non-$0 balance can hurt a little too. Because of that, I'd guess that if you added a balance to one of your two CCs then there really wouldn't be much benefit, if at all because most of your TLs will report a balance anyway due to the loans. If you have time, you can always play with it to see if there's any benefit for having a few bucks report on one of the two CCs.

Calster

Re: For Transunion Fico score, is it better to have 0% credit utilization or between 1%-9% on one ca

IIecs,

Is that 1-9% of that card or 1-9% on one card of all revolving credt available. 

Shogun

Best bump would be to have one card at less than 9% and the others at 0.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}