Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forbearance has caused sudden drastic drop in credit score of 22 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forbearance has caused sudden drastic drop in credit score of 22 points

Hello all, 

I am brand new to this forum but I really look forward to any assistance that is able to be offered to me. February 25th I filed for a forbearance of my student loans for a length of 2 months. I found myself in a situation of needing immediate access to cash, and thought that  this would help me if not for a temporary time. Also I had never used the option, so decided to see if it could help my situation.

From March 5th, I get a report on my credit that it has dive bombed an average of 15 points (Transunion) to 22 points (Experian and Equifax.) After researching, I was able to determine that this was only being caused by the forbearance as there had been no other impacts which would have caused my score to drop so quickly. It was from a post in this forum that alerted me to the fact that others were experiencing this ( see the following Student loan forbearance - 21 pt score drop not recovered ). I immediately called my student loan lenders, Navient and Nelnet, and asked them to remove the forbearances. I also made full payments for the prior charges that were delayed with the forbearance. For Nelnet there was one charge as it normally occured on the 1st (so March 1st had to be paid) and for Navient it was for the 27th of February (so that had to be paid.) 

I was informed that the lenders report to the credit bureaus once a month, at the end of each month. I am 100% certain that the drops I experienced were due to the forbearance, but how long until my credit score regains the lost points? I was told by customer service that it was only temporary.

P.S. This should be information that is made more available, with this being a possibility of occuring.

4 REPLIES 4
Marcos8
Established Contributor

Re: Forbearance has caused sudden drastic drop in credit score of 22 points

While in forbearance you are not in active repayment. Is this your only installment loan? These fluctuations are common and I have seen them myself as I have gone in and out of forbearance. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, thank you so much for your reply. Yes this is my only installment loan as, and please correct me if I am wrong, a credit card is not considered installment right?
Message 3 of 5
Marcos8
Established Contributor

No...credit cards are revolving credit accounts. This drop is probably due to the lack of reporting of your only installment account. You are not being penalized by your student loans but just seeing a pint drop due to the FICO algorithm. I wouldn’t sweat this very much if at all. Good luck

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I recently experienced a similar issue. I was wondering if you have seen a recovery in your score since this post?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.