Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula Difference: EQ Score vs. myFICO

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Formula Difference: EQ Score vs. myFICO

Anyone know? I have been subscribing to EQ's monthly subscription with unlimited daily pulls since December. During that time, I have seen that my EQ FAKO has been consistently LOWER than my FICO....sometimes by less than 10, sometimes by almost 20. 

Examples:

669-677, 683-702, 704-718, 677-691...for example. 

In general I have seen that since as my report improved, the gap would widen.  But for several weeks now since having a 2006 charge off removed, my scores are closer and today, for the first time, my EQ FAKO is HIGHER than my FICO.

I'm trying to figure out what is weighed how or differently. Anyone know?

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Formula Difference: EQ Score vs. myFICO

@ztnjpv wrote:

Anyone know? I have been subscribing to EQ's monthly subscription with unlimited daily pulls since December. During that time, I have seen that my EQ FAKO has been consistently LOWER than my FICO....sometimes by less than 10, sometimes by almost 20. 

Examples:

669-677, 683-702, 704-718, 677-691...for example. 

In general I have seen that since as my report improved, the gap would widen.  But for several weeks now since having a 2006 charge off removed, my scores are closer and today, for the first time, my EQ FAKO is HIGHER than my FICO.

I'm trying to figure out what is weighed how or differently. Anyone know?

This word (FAKO) is all you need to know. Ignore all FAKO's all the time. There is no formula to convert a FAKO to FICO or vice versa. As you have personally witnessed the scores can and do go opposite directions in reaction to the same change in your credit profile.

Ignore all FAKO's all the time.

Message 2 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Yes, I understand that there is no conversion formula. My question was if anyone knows what the general differences are in terms in how things are weighted. I am trying to understand.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It's not just a question of weighting, because many FAKOs routinely exclude information that FICO includes ( like AU accounts ) or include information that FICO excludes ( like mutliple auto/mortgage inquiries within 30 days ).     

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 9
thbaggage

I would also like to know because I am experiencing the same discrepancies between my equifax score and myfico score.

Message 5 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ztnjpv wrote:

Yes, I understand that there is no conversion formula. My question was if anyone knows what the general differences are in terms in how things are weighted. I am trying to understand.

But since FAKO's are useles it doesn't matter how they are calculated. Ignore them.

Message 6 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@thbaggage wrote:

I would also like to know because I am experiencing the same discrepancies between my equifax score and myfico score.

You have to be very careful what you buy from the Equifax website. For awhile now they have been selling their own private "Equifax Credit Score" that is not an EQ FICO score and is not used by any lenders.

Equifax will still sell you a FICO score found here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/ The FICO sold at EQ is the same version (Beacon 5.0) available here.

Message 7 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

You have to be very careful what you buy from the Equifax website. For awhile now they have been selling their own private "Equifax Credit Score" that is not an EQ FICO score and is not used by any lenders.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I realize the score is useless. But when there are no visible changes to my report from one day to the next, I am a little curious as to why my "equifax score" would jump from 719 to 724 while my EQ FICO stays still. Something "happened". 

And, to tell you the truth, since my deletion of that 2006 CC charge off a couple of weeks ago, my FICO hasn't been behaving in a very predictable manner. I figure that by understanding why my equifax score changed today and not my EQ FICO that it might shed some light on what exactly is happening and not happening to FICO.

Also, has anyone ever noticed a lag in score changes between equifax.com and myfico with myfico changing the day after or something?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I watch my fico fairly closely but monitor my FAKO'S daily- I pay a lot for daily TU and EQ reports because I am reallly concerned about changes since I want to buy a home!! What I have seen is that if there is a score bump on my fico is usually 24-48 hours after my FAKO bumps up. I know fakos are good for nothing but I have noticed that my credit karma score is the same as my tu08 I get from walmart monthly...
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.