Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing Credit

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Freezing Credit

**BUMP**

Great info LOTR and everyone else.  I do have a couple of questions ...

Does having your reports frozen

(a)  Prevent you from receiving offers of new credit from new lenders?

(b)  Prevent SCT from working for me even tho I have a few Comenity cards already?

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

**BUMP**

(b)  Prevent SCT from working for me even tho I have a few Comenity cards already?

IMHO and from recent experience when I froze my reports, Equifax sent a letter asking if wanted to be permantely removed from their list of receiving credit offers. I didn't respond as doing so would mean I'd never get any pre-approved offers. But I believe placing the freeze does temporarily remove you for future offers for a few months (not sure the time frame).

As far as the SCT working or not, I would say no, since freezing your reports would prevent lenders from pre-screening or soft-pulling your reports. I could be wrong tho. Any one else who is more experience with this aspect, please chim in.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

**BUMP**

The purpose of a credit freeze is to prevent someone from applying for credit without your expressed permission.  Given that...

NO to (a).  It does not prevent you from receiving new credit offers necessarily.  Not all credit agencies are dependent on the CB alone to send out credit offers.  If you wish to not receive credit offers, you have to register your name and address on the no-contact list.

From my experience, YES to (b). I've only done the SCT once while my CRs were frozen and I was denied with the reason for denial given was due to inability obtain a credit score. I had a Comenity card at the time, but that did not matter.

Hope that helps...

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.