southerngirl306

Frequent checks of credit score

Does checking my credit report often hurt my fico score?
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Frequent checks of credit score

Hi, southerngirl, welcome to the forums! (from another Southern girl.)

No, these are called "soft inquiries," and they do not get factored in scoring. I don't know if you have checked out the Credit Education section here, but there's some useful stuff:
What's not on your score:
Certain types of inquiries (requests for your credit report).
The score does not count “consumer-initiated” inquiries – requests you have made for your credit report, in order to check it. It also does not count “promotional inquiries” – requests made by lenders in order to make you a “pre-approved” credit offer – or “administrative inquiries” – requests made by lenders to review your account with them. Requests that are marked as coming from employers are not counted either.
Here's the link:

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/WhatsNotInYourScore.aspx

Also, be sure to read Credit Scoring 101, stickied at the top of this board:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=2654
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+