Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From 800+ to Foreclosur​e - How Negatives Affect Your Score

tag
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: From 800+ to Foreclosure - How Negatives Effect Your Score

You might consider taking out a secured card now. It is the least likely to get closed and that has a high probability of happening. This will help keep your scores high and speedd dup your recovery after the house is foreclosed.

While what you are facing is bad and I wish it was otherwise, posting your experiences through this could be enormously helpful to others. We almost only get to see the recovery process and most people recovering hadn't planned on what they would do before that. You have a chance to minimize the damage and explain that to others. It's really a very nice and valuable  gesture.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 11 of 208
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

You might consider taking out a secured card now. It is the least likely to get closed and that has a high probability of happening. This will help keep your scores high and speedd dup your recovery after the house is foreclosed.

While what you are facing is bad and I wish it was otherwise, posting your experiences through this could be enormously helpful to others. We almost only get to see the recovery process and most people recovering hadn't planned on what they would do before that. You have a chance to minimize the damage and explain that to others. It's really a very nice and valuable  gesture.

Thanks for bringing up this point.  I thought there was a law passed that prohibited creditors from implementing adverse action based on derogatories from other companies?  (Example: Chase closing out all your cards if you defaulted on American Express)  Any insight would be great. 

On a second thought, do you think it would be beneficial to call my creditors to give them a heads up and see if they will react?  3 cards have been open for 5-7 years without ever missing a payment or being late, 2 cards for 4 years, and 1 card for 1 year.

Message 12 of 208
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

Thanks for bringing up this point.  I thought there was a law passed that prohibited creditors from implementing adverse action based on derogatories from other companies?  (Example: Chase closing out all your cards if you defaulted on American Express)  Any insight would be great. 

On a second thought, do you think it would be beneficial to call my creditors to give them a heads up and see if they will react?  3 cards have been open for 5-7 years without ever missing a payment or being late, 2 cards for 4 years, and 1 card for 1 year.

Nope. The CARD act did prohibit universal default but creditors can and do close accounts if other accounts are sufficiently negative like they have always done. What was prohibited was interest rate jacking on existing balances or using a default on other cards to declare a default and accelerate a balance on good accounts.

As for a "heads up" I wouldn't do that. Just continue to pay them. There is something called "strategic default" where people typically have sterling credit but stop mortgage payments becuase they are way underwater on their home. That isn't precisely your case but it will look like that to the analyst. These people typically will pay their credit cards. This is  reversal of conventional wisdom where they see any sign of a late mortgage as indicating you are in over your head on all debt. As a result of this change in behavior you may be better off than had you done this in 2005.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 13 of 208
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

I have updated my first post as I got an update with EQ and TU with the 30 day late reporting.  TU08 took a 124 point hit and EQ04 took a 93 point hit.  Waiting on Amex to update my EX08 score so I can post those results as well.

Message 14 of 208
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

I have updated my first post as I got an update with EQ and TU with the 30 day late reporting.  TU08 took a 124 point hit and EQ04 took a 93 point hit.  Waiting on Amex to update my EX08 score so I can post those results as well.

You're one of the lucky ones with access to the Amex FICO score?  Did it get confirmed as EX 08?

Anyway I do appreciate your posting your score changes as the lates come rolling in... crappy situation and that 100 point hit for a new 30 day late is pretty brutal.  

        
Message 15 of 208
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

Yea got access to Amex FICO in November.  Per the disclaimer: "The FICO® Score we provide is the FICO® Score 8 based on data from Experian and may be different from other credit scores."

According to FICO, a person with a 780 will drop to around 650 with a 90-day late and a 620 with a foreclosure.  Curious to see if that still holds true.

Amex FICO.png

Message 16 of 208
jamie123
Valued Contributor

You need to get out in front of this. If you REALLY want this to happen you need to talk to a lawyer and have him talk to the bank about voluntarily giving the house back. Don't wait until you do the 30, 60, 90 and 120 day lates and force the bank's hand. (You might need to if they won't voluntarily take the house back.) If you just let it run its course naturally it might be 2 years from now before you are actually foreclosed on.

Two years is a long time to absolutely be out of the credit market. This means that you can't really start rebuilding your credit for two long years.

As long as you pay your credit cards on time I don't think you will lose them. I wouldn't tell any of them about the foreclosure. Nothing good would come of it.

It is vital that you start building a nest egg because in an emergency that will be all you have to fall back on.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 17 of 208
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

You need to get out in front of this. If you REALLY want this to happen you need to talk to a lawyer and have him talk to the bank about voluntarily giving the house back. Don't wait until you do the 30, 60, 90 and 120 day lates and force the bank's hand. (You might need to if they won't voluntarily take the house back.) If you just let it run its course naturally it might be 2 years from now before you are actually foreclosed on.

Two years is a long time to absolutely be out of the credit market. This means that you can't really start rebuilding your credit for two long years.

As long as you pay your credit cards on time I don't think you will lose them. I wouldn't tell any of them about the foreclosure. Nothing good would come of it.

It is vital that you start building a nest egg because in an emergency that will be all you have to fall back on.

Bank has already told me they won't (can't) due anything due to community property laws.  Plus a short sale/deed-in-lieu/foreclosure pretty much have equal impact on FICO.  Correct me if I am wrong but DOFD is still going to be Jan 2015, so it doesn't matter if they foreclose in two months or two years?

Message 18 of 208
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear this.  Sounds like you're thought it through and it is your desicison.  I'm assuming you're young & you can rebound from this.  Going back to school is always a good choice IMO.  Especially in these times.  Good luck on your journey & I will follow you're story.  Always think positive and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I can vouch for it! 

Message 19 of 208
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 5 years ago I went through an intentional foreclosure as well due to returning to school after living out of state for several years and pumping money into an underwater mortgage that was underwater and severely damaged by a previous tenant. My one regret was not pulling the trigger on dumping the house earlier. OP, it sucks to have happen, but you'll be fine in the long run and probably sleep better at night without that payment hanging over your head. Good luck.

Message 20 of 208
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.