Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW Letter Experiences

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

GW Letter Experiences

I thought it might be useful to share some experiences of those who have sent good will (GW) letters requesting deletion of legit. prior derogs.  I have never had postive results in attempting this, at all, even with all the heart rendering renditions of the trevails of my divorce, the death of my dawg, or the many variations of "the devil made me do it."
It would seem to me that a CCC would have little or no motivation to grant such a request on an account that has been closed or fallen into inactivity, for they most likely have already lost your business, and thus have no financial reason to grant GW to retain your business.  Thus, it would seem to me that requesting a GW absolution would be almost useless once an account is closed, or becomes inactive in use.
Is closing (or even a quasi-closing by a PIF followed by subsequent non-use of the card for a period)  the kiss of death for a later GW, even with a promise to re-establish or to show renewed use of the TL?  I would be interested in your experiences.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 06-18-2008 09:36 PM
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
tcham54687
New Contributor

Re: GW Letter Experiences

Shell/Citibank (gas card) 30 day late = Deleted TL
Citibank 120 day late = Removed lates
Capital One 60 day late = Deleted TL
Capital One 120 late = removed all lates

All accounts were pre-2006 and were paid in full. I submitted GWs in May and they were all updated by June. I had no open accounts with Citibank or CapOne at the time I submitted the GWs. I can see how they might not work for some people but they worked for me.

By the way, the only company that I can't get to budge is Ford/Mazda Credit. I have an 18mth old 30 day late that I'm trying to get removed. Funny thing is, they could earn my business again easily if they either delete the TL or the lates, but I'll be damned if I buy another Ford until they take that off my report.

Message Edited by tcham54687 on 06-18-2008 10:44 PM
APR 25, 2008 FICO TU:668/EX:654/EQ:642
Jun 05, 2008 FICO TU:698/EX:697/EQ:709
Aug 01, 2008 FICO TU:724/EX:741/EQ:749
Mar 15, 2013 Fico TU 725/EX 677/EQ/735 (EX has a $60 collection...#$%^ me)
Apr 7, 2013 FICO TU 756/EX 747/EQ 771
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you ever figure out how to get Ford to budge, let me know. I have been trying to get them to GW one and no way are they moving. Last Ford For me also!
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI- GMAC is the same way- 2 30's for me- only got close to a GW once.

Robert makes a great point-
By definition - a GW adjustment is a business decision to 1. Retain customer, 2. Retain brand loyalty 3. Good for business

A few of us have been lucky to get GW for reason #4 - Cheaper to make this person go away. Smiley Wink

afewcrowns wrote:
If you ever figure out how to get Ford to budge, let me know. I have been trying to get them to GW one and no way are they moving. Last Ford For me also!

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. We had two 30-day lates removed from an account with Pioneer Credit Company. The situation was: Small-town lender. We took out while overseas, via SIL, a bank manager who knew the management at this company. SIL had to handle all payments, as we were overseas, they didn't accept CC payments or bank drafts. So she had to hand-carry a check over once a month (Very nice SIL!!!)... In May 06, pmt was late -- she was going through a divorce and in Aug 07 the very last payment (DOH!) was late -- she had just gotten remarried and was moving to KY.

The lates were removed because they're a small-town lender, they understood that we didn't have much control over the payments b/c we were overseas, AND I got to chatting w/ the manager after my GWs were received, and come to find out his wife was having the exact symptoms DH had before the brain tumor diagnosis, so we had empathy for each other in dealing with a sick spouse for months, while docs were telling them it's "just migraines." It was a variety of reasons..

2. I had three to five (can't remember now) lates on Sallie Mae. I GW'd, told them we'd been overseas cuz DH is military, and I didn't have consistent phone or internet access to make payments. They told me to eat it. Then I searched a little more and found the Heroes Act... I GW'd them again, included a copy of the act, a copy of DH's military orders for when we were overseas... only this time I told them they had no choice but to remove my lates and I was embarrassed for them that they didn't know the laws they, as a government institution, are required to act under, when I wrote them the first time.. and if they told me to eat it again, I was going to make them feel really stupid in a very public way.

They removed the lates Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 18
TheArcher
New Contributor

I got a medical collection taken off about a year and a half ago using a goodwill letter. I was never notified of the balance before it was sent to collections. I paid the $45 and 3 months later mailed a very nice letter explaining that I never knew about the money I owed until I saw the collection on my credit report. Three weeks later it was gone from all three reports. My FICO went up like 80 something points over night when the 6 month old collection was taken off. Smiley Very Happy
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." -Thomas Paine
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW worked with Discover (so they said, I haven't seen it reflected, but they agreed to delete in writing) and had been PIF, GW worked with FIA CNSA (although they in writing declined my GW, CRA's magically erased the baddies from them, and GAP GW'd a 30 day late. All of these were paid in full. Two other collection agencies GW'd too... I'm GW'ing all of the baddies into submission!!!!
Message 7 of 18
mrlimo
Regular Contributor

RobertEG wrote:
I thought it might be useful to share some experiences of those who have sent good will (GW) letters requesting deletion of legit. prior derogs.  I have never had postive results in attempting this, at all, even with all the heart rendering renditions of the trevails of my divorce, the death of my dawg, or the many variations of "the devil made me do it."
It would seem to me that a CCC would have little or no motivation to grant such a request on an account that has been closed or fallen into inactivity, for they most likely have already lost your business, and thus have no financial reason to grant GW to retain your business.  Thus, it would seem to me that requesting a GW absolution would be almost useless once an account is closed, or becomes inactive in use.
Is closing (or even a quasi-closing by a PIF followed by subsequent non-use of the card for a period)  the kiss of death for a later GW, even with a promise to re-establish or to show renewed use of the TL?  I would be interested in your experiences.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 06-18-2008 09:36 PM

Hey Robert, I GW'd Chase card on a 30 day late from October 2004. The Account was closed by myself on November 2004. I explained all the details on why the payment was late. And also why I closed my account with them. I received a letter in writing the following week that according to there records it does not even exist anymore so they would just delete the whold tl instead. It was fine by me it was not the oldest of my accounts and it was right between my average age of accounts so it only affected me positively fico wise.

Message 8 of 18
EW800
Valued Contributor

I have two 30-day lates from mid-2005 through Capitol One.  I have sent a letter to a few different addresses, but have not heard anything yet.  I plan to continue this once a month or so until they either budge or I run out of stamps!  From what I have read, Capitol One is one of the hardest to deal with in regard to GW requests.  When I called and politely asked for GW, they acted like I had killed someone and was asking for forgiveness! 
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No such luck with Chase. BOA I am still waiting for a reply.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.