Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geez! What a hit!

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Geez! What a hit!

My credit is excellent but my goodness my EQ file took a 6 point hit from an AT&T inquiry for cable TV.   There were inquiries 9/2017 and 12/2017 for autos and  I guess I will take another hit at first of the month when I have to conclude and pay off a 20k loan from USAA over a 60 month period.  

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
jl4
Established Contributor

Re: Geez! What a hit!

Not surprising. 

When I moved between states, I took a HP for renting and a HP from Comcast because they can't transfer accounts between states. Double HP and I wasn't even getting anything new out of the deal.

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't call 6 points a "hit" to be honest.  That to me is nothing more than a minor ding.  From the thread title, I was expecting to see a 60-80 point drop due to an adverse event!

Message 3 of 22
jl4
Established Contributor

Nothing like brutal body shots, amirite? ...

I’ll show myself out.
Message 4 of 22
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@jl4wrote:

Not surprising. 

When I moved between states, I took a HP for renting and a HP from Comcast because they can't transfer accounts between states. Double HP and I wasn't even getting anything new out of the deal.

I think it's complete B.S. they HP your credit for things like cable/satellite. When I got DirecTV several years ago I balked when the rep asked for my Soc.Sec.#, telling her "I'm not applying for credit". She retorted that they were sending me several hundred dollars of equipment. I told her "Yeah, to a home that I own, and you have my credit card to charge for anything you need". She finally told me the last 4 digits of my SS# would be enough - it was, for a HP, I'd already given them my DOB. Smiley Mad

No HPs for me now, I have broadcast TV by antenna, supplemented by Sling no contract streaming, and my cell phone is Tracfone prepaid, which works for my usage.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a problem with utility companies or cable providers using a HP when they open a new contract up, so long as it's fully disclosed that they are going to do so. 

I'm of the opinion that far more HPs should be used in general, which I know goes against the grain of this forum.  IMO, all CLIs should be HPs as well if they are requested by the card holder (not auto), where the majority seem to be SPs. 

Message 6 of 22
jl4
Established Contributor

I think I'm on the fence, purely becuase it's not 100% transparent the exact detail one receives with a SP versus a HP. I'd love to be on the other end of the request and be able to see all the excrutiating detail I'm sure we're not exposed to as consumers. 

Message 7 of 22
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Why should a cable company installing maybe $200 in equipment have access to my entire credit history? How much my mortgage is, how much my car loan is, how large my Amex CL is is none of their business. There should be something like a Chex system for utilities, alerting them to non or late payment, broken contracts, etc. That's all they need to know.
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you think AT&T is bad, Comcast is a plague on humanity. Worst company for customer experience I have ever had. Them HP'ing is just one more thing to hate about them. I cant wait until 5G lets me dump Comcast

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZWhy should a cable company installing maybe $200 in equipment have access to my entire credit history? How much my mortgage is, how much my car loan is, how large my Amex CL is is none of their business. There should be something like a Chex system for utilities, alerting them to non or late payment, broken contracts, etc. That's all they need to know.

All of that can be obtained with a SP and doesn't need to be a HP... so your gripe here isn't the HP then, it's the fact that they have the ability (SP) to see those things?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.