Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geez! What a hit!

tag
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: Geez! What a hit!

@DaveInAZwrote:
Why should a cable company installing maybe $200 in equipment have access to my entire credit history? How much my mortgage is, how much my car loan is, how large my Amex CL is is none of their business. There should be something like a Chex system for utilities, alerting them to non or late payment, broken contracts, etc. That's all they need to know.

That does exist... NCTUE is the big CRA in that market: http://www.nctue.com/Consumers

(Equifax-owned, I believe.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 11 of 22
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Pisses me off and will until my HP from Fios and Verizon Wireless falls off my report this summer. Wish I knew what I know now about credit!! I would have never gotten cable!! I don’t even use it! 😡
Message 12 of 22
babbles
Established Contributor

Holly Smokes!  Now my Transunion score to an 11 point hit for paying off a 20k loan on 1 April and my auto loan increased by $22, (not sure how, just made a payment within the last 2 weeks) what gives????  749-738, and always notice Navy Federal reports very quickly!

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

What type of loan reported closed and what was it's balance against the $20k original balance at the time you paid it off. Is the auto loan you're only other open loan? What is its balance currently and what was the original balance?
Message 14 of 22
babbles
Established Contributor

What type of loan reported closed and what was it's balance against the $20k original balance at the time you paid it off. Is the auto loan you're only other open loan? What is its balance currently and what was the original balance?

Sorry for the misspell and words missing.  My score took an 11 point hit but it was an installment loan that had a balance of $273 at time of payoff.  Original balance on the car was 31k (8158 payoff),  and my last loan is also 20k with a balance of $286 currently.  Those are my only installment loans.  Appreciate it!

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, to be clear here, you were at $8158 on a $31k loan (which you paid off) and you have $286 left on a $20k loan that you'll presumably pay off very soon?  If that's the case, I wouldn't think you would have seen a score drop, but rather a score gain from paying off the $31k loan, as your aggregate installment loan utilization dropped from around 17% to 2%, crossing the 8.9% threshold.  I would think you'd see a score gain of maybe 10-15 points here.  If you pay off that $286 and it's your only open installment loan, you stand to lose about 25-30 points.

Message 16 of 22
babbles
Established Contributor

The auto still has that balance out of 31k currently.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, so what I said was flip-flopped and you still have the ~$8k balance on $31k and paid off the $286 on $20k?

Message 18 of 22
babbles
Established Contributor

Yes that’s correct, 286 left
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will likely see a 25-30 point drop then once you pay off that $286 and that loan reports closed since you don't have any other open installment loans.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.