Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Consensus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

General Consensus

I have seen some conflicting advice on here. Is it the general consensus that you should have ONE credit card reporting a balance with the rest having a $0 balance?

Currently, I have three CCs reporting a balance below 9% and thought that was the way to go.

Anyone?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: General Consensus

rengler, I don't know if we can come to a consensus. I say that for my "bucket", my scores tend to drop 10-20 points for allowing a second card to report a balance--any balance. Many others have the same experience, yet others report no decrease for a second card reporting a balance.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you want to follow the 'less than half' rule of util:  less than half of your revolving credit cards should show a balance.  So if you have 3-4 cards, that would mean only one card with a balance, 5-6 cards would mean no more than two show a balance, etc.

Message 3 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

I'm with Byrdman on this.  One card for me is the best.  If it is based on score bucket, I'm in the major derog score bucket if that helps you.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

TU gets me for two cards with balances. EX and EQ get me for 3 cards. (This is for 14 open accounts, of which 11 are CC's.)

I'm in the same bucket as marty, we think, but I think I've got more open accounts, which gives me a bit more wiggle room.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.