Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a Collection record off my report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a Collection record off my report

I have almost a great score. On Equifax and Transunion my score is in the 800s, but then Experian I found a collection account forr $84 that is dragging my score down to 780.

The collection is for a diet program that was supposedly ordered in my name 6 years ago. First I am 115lbs and have been since like the 8th grade so I dont need a diet program, never have needed one.

Secondly the collection agency - Allied Collection - says they are based in CA and I am in IL so they are not allowed to send me mail on this collection which is why I have never received any mail on it.

Third over the phone the agency cannot provide anything other than the amount, the merchant, that my name is on this account and saying it was charged on a MC ending in 4 digits which isnt a MC that I have any record of ever owning.

What to do? Pay it to get rid of them? and get my Exp score back up? I dont want to pay it because I know I don't owe it and this company sounds fishy that they cannot send me proof of this. And why does this only show up on Exp but not on any other reports?

I tried calling the collection agency but they were super argumentative and said I owe it and I cannot convince them otherwise. It seems ridiculous that an agency can just say I have a collection account, cannot mail me proof, and that they are sure I owe it, end of discussion.

Any advice?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

Re: Getting a Collection record off my report

Sounds really fishy!!!  DO NOT PAY THEM!!  If they are BS who knows what they will do with your financial info.  Can you get a good address on them?  When you do...

send a DV letter CMRRR for starters.......

Read this: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Debt-Validation/m-p/7133/message-uid/7133

Do some googling too.. not sure these are the same guys.... http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/90150/consumer_beware_allied_interstate_collection.html?cat...

Found this one also for you located in CA and it does mention gyms/sports clubs but also may not be the same.

http://www.acsca.com/

Does it list the address info or phone # for them on your credit report? If you see a phone # on caller ID maybe try reverse # lookup too.

Good Luck!

*Bought 1st Home on 7/11/07 thanks to myFICO Forums*

4/2013 - FICO: 685
Payment History: Great
Amt of Debt: Not Good
Length: Good
Amt of New Credit: Good

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Getting a Collection record off my report

Did they ever send you a formal collection (dunning) notice as was required under FDCPA 809(a) ti have been sent within 5-days of intitial contact/posting to your CR?

It appears that the alleged debt has passed your state statute of limitations, but be sure to check that out.  Threat of any legal action may have passed.

The very first thng I would do is to sent the CA a DV letter.

Then I would contact the OC by phone.  They referred the debt for collection.  You cant dispute witth the OC because they have never reported to your CR.  However, they should still have records of the debt.  Ask them for support of the debt.  Whatever you can get from them may help you in support of a dispute with the CA.

With whatever information you can put together, I would then file a dispute directly with the CA under the direct dispute process of FCRA 623(a)(8).  I would not dispute through the CRA.  I would not wait for response to your DV letter before sending a dispute.

Sample dispute letter:

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

(If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb: 

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt
         validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

“In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:

(specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under

that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation

of any statutory or regulatory provisions?)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; make sure to include,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the

disputed information was actually reported to your credit file)

“Under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(E), you have the duty to review all of the information I have provided to you,  to complete your investigation of this information, based on my supporting documentation, and report back to me the results of your investigation within 30-days of this Notice of Direct Dispute.” 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.