Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting into the 800 club

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting into the 800 club

Hi everyone!  I have been lurking on the forums quite a bit the past couple of weeks trying to absorb as much as possible and after I discovered that identity guard sells me FAKO scores (TU at 810 and EQ and 756), I decided to bite the bullet and pay for my TU and EQ scores.  Since I'm relatively close to the 800 range, I wanted to seek out some of your expert advice to improve.  

A little bit of history: I started in the high 500 range (according to identity guard, which I didn't know was a bad idea in 2007).  I always knew it was important to have a good FICO score and manage my debt and credit responsibly, but I was immature and foolish.  In 2007 when I applied for identity guard, I also elisted the aid of a CCCS and they helped me painfully, slowly, pay down my near $19,000 credit card debt.  I finished paying this off in February of this year.  In working with CCCS, my B of A and Chase credit cards were closed and my AMEX cards were closed by me (I had two AMEX cards and once I paid them off, I closed them in 2010).  The only things remaining are the loans: Sallie Mae at just under $3000, ACS Education at $1625, a credit union personal loan at $1400 (I have funds diverted from my paycheck automatically each month to pay this down), and I am paying back borrowed funds to my 403B account (this will be completed in September).  This may be more information than you needed, but I thought being as forthcoming as possible wouldn't hurt.  

According to my TU report, the only thing holding me back is my non-mortgage/non-credit card debts, which total just under $3000.  I'm working on paying this down as quickly as possible.  The report also mentioned that my length of accounts being a bit sub-par.  My credit history dates back 12 years and 8 months and my AAoA is 10 years.  TU lists 1 account, my ACS Education account being late 10/2006 for 30 days, but the snapshot didn't list it as being a problem for some reason.  

With my EQ report, I have one deliquent blemish that dates back to December 2005, a 30 days late notice.  Now my EQ is much closer to 800 than my TU.  Is it worth the effort to send a GW letter to Bank of America to remove the 30 days late notice?  I have paid off the full amount as agreed.  I am just not sure they would consider the request because I have about 1.5 years until the information should fall off my report and they closed my credit card account once I enrolled in a CCCS.  

I recently applied for an AMEX True Earnings card and was approved for a CL of $3500 because I felt like I was ready to manage a small amount of money again.  They have not provided me with an EX report and score, but I am going to call today to ask for a copy, if at all possible.  AMEX also backdated me to 1999, which was the date I opened my first card with them.  

Basically, what can I do to improve my scores other than to send the two GW letters to have the 30 day lates removed and pay down the loan amounts to $0?  Thanks so much in advance for reading my long post and for any advice you can provide!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Getting into the 800 club

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone!  I have been lurking on the forums quite a bit the past couple of weeks trying to absorb as much as possible and after I discovered that identity guard sells me FAKO scores (TU at 810 and EQ and 756), I decided to bite the bullet and pay for my TU and EQ scores.  Since I'm relatively close to the 800 range, I wanted to seek out some of your expert advice to improve.  

A little bit of history: I started in the high 500 range (according to identity guard, which I didn't know was a bad idea in 2007).  I always knew it was important to have a good FICO score and manage my debt and credit responsibly, but I was immature and foolish.  In 2007 when I applied for identity guard, I also elisted the aid of a CCCS and they helped me painfully, slowly, pay down my near $19,000 credit card debt.  I finished paying this off in February of this year.  In working with CCCS, my B of A and Chase credit cards were closed and my AMEX cards were closed by me (I had two AMEX cards and once I paid them off, I closed them in 2010).  The only things remaining are the loans: Sallie Mae at just under $3000, ACS Education at $1625, a credit union personal loan at $1400 (I have funds diverted from my paycheck automatically each month to pay this down), and I am paying back borrowed funds to my 403B account (this will be completed in September).  This may be more information than you needed, but I thought being as forthcoming as possible wouldn't hurt.  

According to my TU report, the only thing holding me back is my non-mortgage/non-credit card debts, which total just under $3000.  I'm working on paying this down as quickly as possible.  The report also mentioned that my length of accounts being a bit sub-par.  My credit history dates back 12 years and 8 months and my AAoA is 10 years.  TU lists 1 account, my ACS Education account being late 10/2006 for 30 days, but the snapshot didn't list it as being a problem for some reason.  

With my EQ report, I have one deliquent blemish that dates back to December 2005, a 30 days late notice.  Now my EQ is much closer to 800 than my TU.  Is it worth the effort to send a GW letter to Bank of America to remove the 30 days late notice?  I have paid off the full amount as agreed.  I am just not sure they would consider the request because I have about 1.5 years until the information should fall off my report and they closed my credit card account once I enrolled in a CCCS.  

I recently applied for an AMEX True Earnings card and was approved for a CL of $3500 because I felt like I was ready to manage a small amount of money again.  They have not provided me with an EX report and score, but I am going to call today to ask for a copy, if at all possible.  AMEX also backdated me to 1999, which was the date I opened my first card with them.  

Basically, what can I do to improve my scores other than to send the two GW letters to have the 30 day lates removed and pay down the loan amounts to $0?  Thanks so much in advance for reading my long post and for any advice you can provide!

Congrats on the rebuilding success ~ you have done a great job raising your scores !

In terms of getting to 800, it sounds like you are close.   Was the TU scoring reason listed above from a FICO report ? You should focus on paying your revolving debt, don't worry about your installment debt  ~ FICO revolving debt utilization is a major part of your score. If your personal loan is reporting as revolving then you should work on paying it down.

The 30 day lates are likely not making a significant impact on your score, as they lose their scoring ding after 1 ~ 2 years.  IMO it's always worth a shot to clean up your report, but they probably aren't hurting you anymore.

It's great that you got the AMEX card opened and backdated, that will help your AAoA.   Is the AMEX card your only open credit card acccount or do you have any other open revolving TLs ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your response, pizzadude.  Yes, the balances of my non-mortgage payments were too high.  It should be $1200 and below, which I am working on and I suspect the balances of all my loans will be paid in full by June/July of next year allowing for a minor splurge here and there during the holiday season.  My personal loan isn't reporting, it seems to just be the student loans, but not all of them are reporting because the total amount of student loans exceeds the $2900 they are reporting.  

The AMEX is the only card I have open that I can trust myself with at the moment.  Should I work on opening additional cards in 6 months or 1 year from now or should I just work on getting a CLI 2-3 months from now?

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It might not hurt to open an addional AMEX card or two since they would be backdated and wouldn't ding your AAoA.   FICO scoring usually likes at least 3 open revolving accounts, with only one reporting a small balance, usually less than 9%.  

Look closely at your credit reports to see if your student loans are reporting as installment loans, usually this is the case.   You really should just focus on paying down the accounts that are reporting as revolving.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do!  Hopefully I'll have good news to report next year.  Thanks again for your advice Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.