Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give a guy a break ...

tag
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Give a guy a break ...

So, Tuscani, Noah_bodie, LadyFico, anybody ...  what harm/risk would there be in adding say,  a homeless person (such as the struggling head of a family)  to your lowest/best credit account, without actually giving him/her the ability or opportunity to use it?  Would this not establish credit for them, making it easier to rent places to live and purchase used vehicles?  And say one were to do this, how long would it take that person to go from say, 300 to 600?

Thanks in advance!

me
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Give a guy a break ...

MercyMe wrote:
So, Tuscani, Noah_bodie, LadyFico, anybody ...  what harm/risk would there be in adding say,  a homeless person (such as the struggling head of a family)  to your lowest/best credit account, without actually giving him/her the ability or opportunity to use it?  Would this not establish credit for them, making it easier to rent places to live and purchase used vehicles?  And say one were to do this, how long would it take that person to go from say, 300 to 600?

Thanks in advance!

me

LOL.. even an 800 FICO can't employ you or pay the bills. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

But they would have a great FICO score. lol. And the ability to call your credit card company and request changes and a replacement card mailed to them.
Message 3 of 22
PCR20
Regular Contributor

I was wondering the same thing, but a different way.
Suppose I want to help one of my daughters start her credit life
She's 18, just graduated High School and getting ready to start 10 years of College.
I very much doubt she will have time to work for at least the next 4 years, so I will be paying her bills.

If I add her to a couple of my Credit Cards as a user, won't that help her establish real credit?
I don't necessarily have to give an actual card; just add her as a valid user.

(Edit: Corrected spelling/grammer mistake)

Message Edited by TCarson on 05-22-2007 03:11 PM

Starting Score: 05/12/2007 was 724 average on all 3
Current Score: 02-10-2017 EQ=839 EX=837 TU=832
Message 4 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Daughters are money pits.  Smiley Very Happy

BTW - that ten years of college will probably cost more than double the amount you have so carefully calculated  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 22
PCR20
Regular Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:
Daughters are money pits.  Smiley Very Happy

BTW - that ten years of college will probably cost more than double the amount you have so carefully calculated  Smiley Very Happy

I figure I'll pay the first four years, then give her the deed to a house in Texas.
From that she can borrow the rest on deferred student loans on her own while I work on Daughter #2's future.(Maybe look for her to get a four year degree and marry well Smiley Wink )

I'm just thinking how I can help her get good loan values when it's time for her to start borrowing to pay for this education.

Message 6 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

TCarson wrote:

I'm just thinking how I can help her get good loan values when it's time for her to start borrowing to pay for this education.

A lot of the standard student loans are for a very low rate for a very long time, and pretty independant of the child's credit rating, as they have no credit rating.  Then at the end they can be consolidated at a good rate etc.  Much of it is fixed - especially the loans one can get via the standard Federal Aid program.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 22
PCR20
Regular Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:
A lot of the standard student loans are for a very low rate for a very long time, and pretty independant of the child's credit rating, as they have no credit rating.  Then at the end they can be consolidated at a good rate etc.  Much of it is fixed - especially the loans one can get via the standard Federal Aid program.

Good advise.

I only wish FAFSA would be a bit more realistic about the costs of living when they factor who qualifies for Student Aid. I don't think they compensate for what it costs to live in NorCal verses most (not all) other places. Housing here is more than 5x what it is in East Texas, but salaries are only about 20% higher.

Getting back OT, is there any effect on the credit score of someone added to an existing credit-card account?

Message 8 of 22
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

I have a DD who is 21, DS 20, DS 19, DD 17 and DD14....whew....

Anyway, DD was a college student and we got her a BoA acct.  The gave her the BoA student visa w/$500 limit.  So if your child is in college they can get their own credit started.  BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!!!!  So many  posts I read on CIC or CB are about college kids who get the cards, max them out and then default.  This is such a risk, especially if they don't have an income!
DD has now graduated to that plus a Victoria's Secret card and recently a USAA MC with a $5000 limit.  (Uh, that is because she joined the Army. Smiley Happy.... she is a combat medic and is currently finishing her nursing degree courtesy of Uncle Sam!)

DS1 started his credit life in the Army as well with a Military Star card.  He is now having the adult joy of running out of money before he runs out of month! (However, deployment will change that....all that extraneous pay...)

DS2 still has no credit, and god love the child/man, he needs to grow up before he gets any.

DD2  I made her an AU on my Target Visa ($5000 CL) which will begin her credit life.  Why?  She like DD1 is an honor student.  She completed her first AP class as a Junior.  Next year 3 AP classes and a couple of college courses as a HS SR.  She is also a soccer star.  She will be heading to England (Manchester) to compete there in July.  The AU was so that she could have it there and not have to carry cash.  [The nice thing about living in FL....she will have tuition paid at state schools!  In addition, we have already begun receiving recruiting letters from colleges for soccer!]
DD3....well, I have a few years before I have to think about her!

I teach all my kids about credit, it's use and FICO scoring.  I teach them about budgeting.  Better from Mom than CAs!!!
Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't intend to list my daughter as an AU when she comes of age just to get her credit score up.

A kid's first CC shouldn't have a $5000 limit, and the car they learn to drive in shouldn't be a Maserati, for the same reasons: way too much too soon. My daughter can start out with two CCs in the $200 to $500 limit range, and earn her way to higher limits from there. If she avoids baddies, and uses the credit-building techniques I'll teach her in a few years, no reason she shouldn't have $2000 cards by the time she graduates from college, and $5000 CLs and a 750 FICO by the end of grad school. By then, she'll have the financial experience to handle that horsepower without wrapping herself around a telephone pole.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.