cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to pay down 1k on my Debt....should i split it between two cards or just pay down one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Going to pay down 1k on my Debt....should i split it between two cards or just pay down one?

I have 3500 on one card and 2800 on another I want to pay down 1 k of my debt next month but i'm wondering if it would be better to put 500 on one and 500 on another would it matter if i just put it down on one or help my score if i spread it between two?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Going to pay down 1k on my Debt....should i split it between two cards or just pay down one?

I would pay the one with the highest interest rate.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off some debt. Got any advice?

I'm a 21 year old college student. I have 2 Chase cc's, one Cap1 cc, one express (store) card, 2 bank accounts and one savings. the savings is pretty much empty. Fortunately, I'm getting my student loans in in about 2 or 3 weeks. I'll have around $2-3k from them to spend at will. I don't have any other bills besides these and a cellphone. If I'm correct, my FICO is somewhere around 660-670 range (or was). I have had all except one(2nd chase) of these accounts open for about 3 and a half years. 2nd Chase is about 8 months or so. Also, I was a victim of identity theft(repaired now) and I was trying to get a car recently, so I have A BILLION inquiries in the last year on my credit report (14 respectively... I know I know). In retrospect, I've never been late on one bill. Balances are as follows:

Chase:1000/1700 - 29.99% apr

Chase:490/1000 - 18.24% (just went up from intro 0%)

Cap1:200/500 - 22.8%

Express: 75/900 -22.8%

wow.. stacked up like this these apr's look HORRIBLE...

If these are the balances due, and the right numbers are the limits, what can I do that would be most beneficial? I would even take advice such as which accounts to close if I should close any. Realistically I would be fine with one (possibly two max) credit cards. I'm getting close to making those steps. Because I'm young and these were kind of "gift" cards I think... my APR'S have been high from the beginning. What kind of advice can I get to steer me in the right direction? I would like to have lower APR'S, higher limits and you know... all the rest of the beneficial things for credit cards.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying off some debt. Got any advice?

If you believe that one of the bank cards may offer you a balance transfer special, pay that off.
Call each one and simply ask for a lower rate.  Ask each one if they have any balance transfer specials. 

Generally pay off balances that are really low (so you don't forget, and end up paying a late fee), and cards with higher rates first.

Message 4 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Going to pay down 1k on my Debt....should i split it between two cards or just pay down one?

dannyboy6554 wrote:
I have 3500 on one card and 2800 on another I want to pay down 1 k of my debt next month but i'm wondering if it would be better to put 500 on one and 500 on another would it matter if i just put it down on one or help my score if i spread it between two?

Can you list the card names, CL's and APRs?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.