New Visitor
dannyboy6554

Going to pay down 1k on my Debt....should i split it between two cards or just pay down one?

I have 3500 on one card and 2800 on another I want to pay down 1 k of my debt next month but i'm wondering if it would be better to put 500 on one and 500 on another would it matter if i just put it down on one or help my score if i spread it between two?
Regular Contributor
javi84

Re: Going to pay down 1k on my Debt....should i split it between two cards or just pay down one?

I would pay the one with the highest interest rate.
For age and want, save while you may; no morning sun lasts a whole day.
--Benjamin Franklin
NateLSU

Paying off some debt. Got any advice?

I'm a 21 year old college student. I have 2 Chase cc's, one Cap1 cc, one express (store) card, 2 bank accounts and one savings. the savings is pretty much empty. Fortunately, I'm getting my student loans in in about 2 or 3 weeks. I'll have around $2-3k from them to spend at will. I don't have any other bills besides these and a cellphone. If I'm correct, my FICO is somewhere around 660-670 range (or was). I have had all except one(2nd chase) of these accounts open for about 3 and a half years. 2nd Chase is about 8 months or so. Also, I was a victim of identity theft(repaired now) and I was trying to get a car recently, so I have A BILLION inquiries in the last year on my credit report (14 respectively... I know I know). In retrospect, I've never been late on one bill. Balances are as follows:

Chase:1000/1700 - 29.99% apr

Chase:490/1000 - 18.24% (just went up from intro 0%)

Cap1:200/500 - 22.8%

Express: 75/900 -22.8%

wow.. stacked up like this these apr's look HORRIBLE...

If these are the balances due, and the right numbers are the limits, what can I do that would be most beneficial? I would even take advice such as which accounts to close if I should close any. Realistically I would be fine with one (possibly two max) credit cards. I'm getting close to making those steps. Because I'm young and these were kind of "gift" cards I think... my APR'S have been high from the beginning. What kind of advice can I get to steer me in the right direction? I would like to have lower APR'S, higher limits and you know... all the rest of the beneficial things for credit cards.
roasty

Re: Paying off some debt. Got any advice?

If you believe that one of the bank cards may offer you a balance transfer special, pay that off.
Call each one and simply ask for a lower rate.  Ask each one if they have any balance transfer specials. 

Generally pay off balances that are really low (so you don't forget, and end up paying a late fee), and cards with higher rates first.

Moderator Emeritus
fused

Re: Going to pay down 1k on my Debt....should i split it between two cards or just pay down one?

dannyboy6554 wrote:
I have 3500 on one card and 2800 on another I want to pay down 1 k of my debt next month but i'm wondering if it would be better to put 500 on one and 500 on another would it matter if i just put it down on one or help my score if i spread it between two?

Can you list the card names, CL's and APRs?
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}