New Visitor
blitz16v

Got my FICO score 666, am I at a plateau with the following info?

Hello I have a few questions I am 24yr old, and ran my FICO via experian showing a 666 lucky me. Here is my situation

I have 3 credit cards
CC 1 = 445$ Balance  [HSBC]
CC 2= 3,956$ Balance [Wells Fargo]
CC 3= 334$ Balance [Chase Circuit City]

I have Sallie Mae student loans
those will be with me for awhile.

I have a few questions, I plan on paying off CC 1 this month, when I pay it off should I close it. I Plan on paying of CC 3 this month too. What will it take to push to 700 is this possible?  I know this student loan will be with me for awhil, but what can I currently do to raise my FICO? Shall I open up another small CC and keep the balance low and keep paying on it? Thanks in advance!
Frequent Contributor
Tmleverage

Re: Got my FICO score 666, am I at a plateau with the following info?

From what I am reading here on the forums is
you want your credit cards too show low utilization
like 10% of the credit amount available or lower.

Valued Contributor
TheNewWorldMan

Pay your balances down to $20 or so. You want to keep a small balance. You can even PIF some months, just make sure something, even a buck or two, gets reported. Reducing those balances should give you a significant score increase.

I would get another CC...manage it the same way, keep the balance less than 10% of the credit limit. Doesn't matter if the CL is low and you have to charge a six-pack of soda at the convenience store. Anything to maintain a tiny balance.
- - - -
in a credit-scoring postnuclear Stone Age...
New Visitor
blitz16v

Okay I am going to pay them off CC 1/3 and leave a small balance in there say around 50 or so and just pay on them slowly.

What is a good small credit card that you can recommend? Maybe a gas card or something, do you think I can reach 700 with these improvements?
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Try Amex Delta (assuming you have no BK).
Senior Contributor
smallfry

[ Edited ]
If you decide to leave balances on accounts just make sure there are no more than 3 which show a balance. This includes installment loans which includes personal lines of credit car loans and mortgages. That leaves one credit card to report a balance. Only 1. Message Edited by smallfry on 07-15-2007 08:30 AM

Message Edited by smallfry on 07-15-2007 08:32 AM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+