Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got two new credit cards (sock drawer) question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got two new credit cards (sock drawer) question

i got two new cards, low balances, $500 CL on each, $100 bal on each just so i can pay them off.  3 new CC total since december, 20% Util.  My two new CC just hit my report and i was wondering how long does it take my score to go back up after the "new credit shock"?  It only went down 3% so maybe next month or the month after?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MissMia75
Frequent Contributor

reayRe: Got two new credit cards (sock drawer) question

Great question!

I am wondering the same.  i have 2 new cards that are about to post.  By the way, since you are rebuilding what are good starter cards?  i have a First Premier Card ($300) and a secured card with my Credit Union ($500).

Starting Score: 06/2011 505 EX 523 Lender Pulled
Current Score: 08/2011 628 EX 575 Lender Pulled
11/14/2011 TU 584

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
***Closed on my home 05/18/2012***

Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Got two new credit cards (sock drawer) question

IME, most of my points (guessing 90%) have returned within 6 months (usually by the 5th or 6th) and the remaining by or at the year mark, assuming I didn't add anything new since that time. YMMV based on your credit profile, whether or not there was some rebucketing, change in AAoA, etc.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got two new credit cards (sock drawer) question

@Anonymous wrote:

i got two new cards, low balances, $500 CL on each, $100 bal on each just so i can pay them off.  3 new CC total since december, 20% Util.  My two new CC just hit my report and i was wondering how long does it take my score to go back up after the "new credit shock"?  It only went down 3% so maybe next month or the month after?

Hi kyomagi,

With a 20% utilization on both cards, part of your score drop (if you're referring to a FICO score) is from the balances reporting.

To keep your FICO scores at their best, allow one card to report a zero balance and have the other card report less than 9% utilization.

You're likely to see FICO points as soon as your reports update with the new balances.

And you don't have to carry a revolving balance, pay it off over time, or pay interest ever - to keep FICO happy.  PIF is definitely the way to go!

Best wishes!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.