Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had collections deleted/removed, but no score change

tag
Darius1976
New Contributor

Had collections deleted/removed, but no score change

FICO Team,

I had 4 collections removed from my credit report.  FICO noted the deletions as they no longer appear on any of the FICO reports.  Granted they were old collections (2 were 6 years, and 2 were almost 6.5 years).  Even if they were old collection accounts, shouldn't  my score received some kind of increase?  The collections are not showing up at all and no score increase from either credit agencies.  Do agencies remove items, and then update score later on in the month or does the change happen as soon as the item is removed?  Thank you so much in advance!

$7500____________$5000____________$9000____________$2000____________$1800____________$5500
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Had collections deleted/removed, but no score change

What are the other negatives on your reports ? If there are other collections then it's possible your score won't move much.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
Darius1976
New Contributor

The other two negatives are one 30 late payment on First Premier Credit Card 4 years ago, and a 60 day late payment on another First premier Credir card 5 years ago.

$7500____________$5000____________$9000____________$2000____________$1800____________$5500
Message 3 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If those minor lates are the only other negatives, no charge offs, etc, I would think your score would have gone up at least a few points.

How is your utilization and AAoA?

Message 4 of 13
Darius1976
New Contributor

My AAoA did drop a lot when the collections were deleted.  i guess in a strange way they were helping age my accounts since they were so old.   So when the collections came off, it lowered my AAoA.. So maybe the removal and less AAoA balanced out...

My CC utilization is under %10 for all cards.

Message 5 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

First off, agencies don't supply the scores, unless you're speaking of buying a FAKO from the CRAs.  FICO scores what is on your report when it is pulled, it has no memory of what used to be on there.

Anyway.... You only have minor derogs that are old and not affecting your Score really anymore.  You may have lost some AAoA, you might have been rebucketed.

In any case, you have a much cleaner CR with those gone, and that's what I like to see.  Do you have any CCs currently?  You need to have at least a couple revolving accounts, and then get in the garden and watch those scores grow!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 13
Darius1976
New Contributor

If i was 'rebucketed', how does losing the collection accounts make it a negative?  Is it because the removal of the OC's affected my score more than the collections because it reaged of AAoA?  When the collections fell off, so did two OC's which made my AAoA shorter..

Message 9 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you lost 2 OC accounts that would impact your AAoA.

The collections being deleted would normally have helped but when you are rebucketed you are put in a bucket with no collections and others with similar credit profiles and higher scores.  You are now compared to others that will typically have higher scores than you.  The benefit of the new bucket is that your scores will normalize with the others more quickly.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.