cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiry Drop Off - Will It Improve Score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Inquiry Drop Off - Will It Improve Score?

On February 12th I have a hard inquiry that will turn a year old.  I have two other hard inquirys within the last year with dates of

October 09, 2008 First Usa June 20, 2008 Cap One February 12, 2008 Cap One

Will my score see any sort of improvement when the Feb 12th one drops off? Or will another one, or even all of them need to drop to see an improvement? Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hard Inquiry Drop Off - Will It Improve Score?

You likely won't see any increase.Assuming you were dinged for the inquiry, any damage would have lessened over the course of the year. However, if you have a new TL associated with the inquiry, expect a small increase as it hits the one yr. mark.
Message 2 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@llecs wrote:
You likely won't see any increase.Assuming you were dinged for the inquiry, any damage would have lessened over the course of the year. However, if you have a new TL associated with the inquiry, expect a small increase as it hits the one yr. mark.

I don't know about any score increase from the drop off of an inquiry but I am pretty sure the damage from an inquiry does not lessen as it ages to a year. Once it hits a year FICO won't count it but any score pop will occur at that point. The damage from an inquiry will decrease as it ages towards a year in the eyes of a credit issuer but as far as scoring goes nope.

Message 3 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Broke off sam_talker's post to start own thread.

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 02-06-2009 06:42 PM

Message 4 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

smallfry wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I don't know about any score increase from the drop off of an inquiry but I am pretty sure the damage from an inquiry does not lessen as it ages to a year. Once it hits a year FICO won't count it but any score pop will occur at that point. The damage from an inquiry will decrease as it ages towards a year in the eyes of a credit issuer but as far as scoring goes nope.

Correct.

So, if you were dinged points from that INQ, you will get them back, when it is removed.  It may not be removed on that exact date.  Some report that INQs are removed at the beginning of the month, while others report that they are removed at the end of the month.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

ByrdMan wrote:

smallfry wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Correct.
So, if you were dinged points from that INQ, you will get them back, when it is removed.  It may not be removed on that exact date.  Some report that INQs are removed at the beginning of the month, while others report that they are removed at the end of the month.

All things being equal with no new credit or inquiries over the next year impacting things, I can see that happening.
Message 6 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

I had a recent 14 gain in EQ which seems to have been caused by going from 2 INQs to 1.  I do remember a 14 or 15 point drop last year on EQ for an INQ but I am not 100% sure.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Could be marty. Did any of your tradelines reach benchmarks in time where they might be considered more seasoned? That seems like a big jump for just a loss of an inquiry.
Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

marty56 wrote:
I had a recent 14 gain in EQ which seems to have been caused by going from 2 INQs to 1.  I do remember a 14 or 15 point drop last year on EQ for an INQ but I am not 100% sure.

This would make sense with what I have on my EQ reports. The first inquiry didn't hurt, but the next three sure did.

I think that you get a freebie inq before they start dropping the hammer on you, which would make sense. Might not be true for all score buckets, or across all three bureaus, though.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.