cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiry for opening a SAVINGS ACCOUNT???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Inquiry for opening a SAVINGS ACCOUNT???

I applied to open a savings account at Wells Fargo and got an inquiry alert. Certainly this inquiry shouldn't even be counted as I'm not applying for credit, I'm applying for an account to SAVE MY %#%@ MONEY!!!!

Whatsup with this?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Hard Inquiry for opening a SAVINGS ACCOUNT???

mplsmelo50 wrote:
I applied to open a savings account at Wells Fargo and got an inquiry alert. Certainly this inquiry shouldn't even be counted as I'm not applying for credit, I'm applying for an account to SAVE MY %#%@ MONEY!!!!

Whatsup with this?

Very common I am afraid.  And I think it is legal
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

mplsmelo50 wrote:

Whatsup with this?

I agree, dispute it with the CRAs as I didn't apply for new credit. I'm sick of banks thinking they have PP (permissible purpose) to pull your credit when opening a new savings account. A softy maybe but a hard why! After all, you are lending them money, why can't you hard the bank?
Message 3 of 7
JDL
New Visitor
New Visitor

Same has happened to me. My credit score goes down when I apply for a high yield money market account. This is ridiculous. I am NOT applying for credit. I am, in effect, loaning money to the bank.
Message 4 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

JDL wrote:
Same has happened to me. My credit score goes down when I apply for a high yield money market account. This is ridiculous. I am NOT applying for credit. I am, in effect, loaning money to the bank.

Dispute it with the CRA(s) as not mine, I did not apply for credit and reference the FTC section 604.
Message 5 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

They did a Hard on me when I opened savings account. I guess it is legal and valid. Interesting, it fell off from the report after few months.
Message 6 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

There is no way a bank has PP to pull a hard inq. Some at this forum have written to their banks that pulled hard inqs and the banks later removed them or recoded them.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.