cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiry on credit report for writing a check?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Inquiry on credit report for writing a check?

I shopped at Neiman Marcus 2 days this year and wrote checks both times. Today I checked my credit report and discovered they made a hard inquiry to TransUnion each time I wrote a check. I didn't know that stores could make an inquiry for writing a personal check to pay for merchandise. In fact, I thought that writing checks was like paying with cash, not like asking for credit. I wrote checks to avoid applying for a credit card which would certainly lead to a hard inquiry. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this legal? Can I do anything about this? Thanks for your help.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard Inquiry on credit report for writing a check?

They are seriously twisting the law. 

Did they advise her of this beforehand?  No?  Didn't think so.
Did she apply for any type of credit clearance that would then allow her to write checks? Guessing no.
Did they ask for her SSN?  Highly doubt it, but did they?

That really stinks.  Print up copies of the CBRs for your records.  Send them a non-authorized inquiry letter and keep in mind this is 2 incidents at 1k each.  I would ask for half that to settle if they want to avoid going to court.  You don't have to ask for a settlement... but wow this would surely be an instance where I would. 

You can dispute this with TU as well but I'd be concerned it might stir up a fraud alert.  I would handle the letter to Neiman Marcus first. 

Please complain to the AG, FTC, and BBB.  
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 6
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I would dispute these inquiries. They are pushing the law.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your responses. I sent a letter to Neiman Marcus and they called today saying they would remove the hard inquiries from my credit report. According to the representative, stores are allowed to do hard inquiries on checks WITHOUT telling the customer. I think I'll just use cash in the future! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are not appliying for credit when writing a check-

This is a FCRA violation!!!

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for your responses. I sent a letter to Neiman Marcus and they called today saying they would remove the hard inquiries from my credit report. According to the representative, stores are allowed to do hard inquiries on checks WITHOUT telling the customer. I think I'll just use cash in the future! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

the lady that told you that does not know the law....hard ings can only be pulled with your permission!!
When applying for credit or employment.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 12-30-2007 02:54 PM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.