Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard pull for new bank acct

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard pull for new bank acct

Hey all,

I opened an acct with a new bank today. A credit union. They did a hard eq pull. I did not get a credit card. Does this hard inquiry affect scores the same as a hard inquiry for a credit card? Ive been really wanting to get the new chase card, but wanted to wait until july. Should my score recover by that time?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard pull for new bank acct

@ncochran1989 wrote:
Hey all,

I opened an acct with a new bank today. A credit union. They did a hard eq pull. I did not get a credit card. Does this hard inquiry affect scores the same as a hard inquiry for a credit card? Ive been really wanting to get the new chase card, but wanted to wait until july. Should my score recover by that time?

A hard pull is a hard pull is a hard pull.....

How they're classified is what makes the difference, only by being allowed to consolidate into one, as compared to being a single event per request. Car loan v. credit for example. 

It all comes down to your file's thickness, and pull counts that affect your point loss per HP. Yes, you will recover. If you haven't gone overboard, you should still be good for Chase (saying this based on what you've provided).

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. Eq now has 4 inquiries. 1 should fall off this summer. It was for an apartment. 2 were credit cards in jan. Now a new bank acct inquiry. My score was a 680 today.
Message 3 of 16
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@ncochran1989 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Eq now has 4 inquiries. 1 should fall off this summer. It was for an apartment. 2 were credit cards in jan. Now a new bank acct inquiry. My score was a 680 today.

Nice thing about this situation is that your numbers aren't that high, and easily explainable to an UW'er if you recon a denial.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool. Thanks!
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ncochran1989 wrote:
Hey all,

If it really concerns you that much, you can always contact the Credit Union, explain to them that you did not apply for any credit products, and ask that they recode the inquiry to a soft pull to minimize the effect on your credit.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx for your reply. I don't think it's gonna kill my score, I was just interested in knowing if it affects your score the same as applying for a card or loan. I agreed to the hard pull and happy to have the new acct, so I wouldn't feel right requesting that from them at this point. I just have read how chase can be a little funny on inquiries and new acct when applying for new credit. I had a little app spree where I got 4 credit cards in jan/feb. Love the ones I have, but that new chase freedom has caught my eye. As someone who doesn't use debit, 1.5% would be really great. But I was wanting to wait til july to give myself 6 months before adding a new card, but now I have a new inquiry, may need to wait a little longer I guess.
Message 7 of 16
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@ncochran1989 wrote:
Thx for your reply. I don't think it's gonna kill my score, I was just interested in knowing if it affects your score the same as applying for a card or loan. I agreed to the hard pull and happy to have the new acct, so I wouldn't feel right requesting that from them at this point. I just have read how chase can be a little funny on inquiries and new acct when applying for new credit. I had a little app spree where I got 4 credit cards in jan/feb. Love the ones I have, but that new chase freedom has caught my eye. As someone who doesn't use debit, 1.5% would be really great. But I was wanting to wait til july to give myself 6 months before adding a new card, but now I have a new inquiry, may need to wait a little longer I guess.

If you're worried about Chase, have you tried their prequalifier yet, post CU pull?

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tried it. Still offering me the Slate, which I'm not interested in. They sent me a mail offer for the sapphire preferred not long ago. Not sure why slate keeps popping up. I have no balance to transfer and there are no rewards witg that one, so not interested. Would the hard pull already be recognized by chase? They just pulled it a few hrs ago.
Message 9 of 16
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@ncochran1989 wrote:
I just tried it. Still offering me the Slate, which I'm not interested in. They sent me a mail offer for the sapphire preferred not long ago. Not sure why slate keeps popping up. I have no balance to transfer and there are no rewards witg that one, so not interested. Would the hard pull already be recognized by chase? They just pulled it a few hrs ago.

Chase prequal used to give me nothing. I cold apped for the CSP. Same with the Freedom.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.