cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had a collection ever come off.. and not change the score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone had a collection ever come off.. and not change the score?

I had a CCU collection that sat only with Transunion. It was about 4 years old and was removed from my report.

Part of my federal tax return took care of it $2270 and poof it was off my credit. My score didn't change though? I would think a $2200 collection coming off would boost the score some regardless of age. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone had a collection ever come off.. and not change the score?

Was it a Fico score that didn't change?

Message 2 of 8
bass_playr
Established Contributor

I did....I asked about it a week or two ago in here, and did not get much info in response.  

I had a large negative account removed--should not have been there anyways because it was a fraud attempt, but TU removed it when I disputed.  It did not change my FICO score even one point.  Cannot figure out why, because it removed about $82K in delinquent balance and about 50 late payments from my report...but did not change anything.  My age of accounts is still more than 10 years, but even if it had dropped the age of accounts, I cannot imagine that removing $82K and all those late payments would have had no effect.  

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it's definitely strange. I have been rebuilding my credit and have removed 4 collections to which all resulted in a score change. Whether it was 4,6,8,12 points etc.

I also had a late payment removed on a 6 year old positive account. Score went up slightly. So I don't think it's the age of the account... maybe I'll just wait it out. 

82k though.. big time congrats on that one!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Yeah it's definitely strange. I have been rebuilding my credit and have removed 4 collections to which all resulted in a score change. Whether it was 4,6,8,12 points etc.

I also had a late payment removed on a 6 year old positive account. Score went up slightly. So I don't think it's the age of the account... maybe I'll just wait it out. 

82k though.. big time congrats on that one!

Was it a Fico score? What I see in your signature are Vantage scores.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'm not necessarily saying it was any particular score.

My question was.. after the collection came off, why did it not affect my score? I was referring to FICO. I could care less about Vantage scoring (however it didn't change that either). My transunion FICO didn't change after the largest collection was removed. I just thought it was odd since I have had multiple collections removed and all affected the scores in a positive way.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason you didn't see a score change is because you still have other major negative items present on your credit report. All it takes is one major one to suppress your scores in a major way. It honestly doesn't matter if you have 2 or if you have 20; once you have one major negative present you are put into a dirty scorecard and that will prevent your scores from increasing significantly. Slight scoring improvements when negative items are removed are usually because they are more recent meaning that the age of your other negative items is usually older. It's also worth noting to the other poster that dollar amounts with collections really aren't relevant. Whether the collection is for $820 or for $82,000 it is viewed as an equally impactful negative and it affects your FICO scores the same way. Hopefully this helps clear things up a little bit. The bottom line is that while removing negative items from your credit report is certainly a great thing it isn't until you remove that last one thus putting you into a clean scorecard that you will realize a massive score gain.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Well I'm not necessarily saying it was any particular score.

My question was.. after the collection came off, why did it not affect my score? I was referring to FICO. I could care less about Vantage scoring (however it didn't change that either). My transunion FICO didn't change after the largest collection was removed. I just thought it was odd since I have had multiple collections removed and all affected the scores in a positive way.

I see that you have changed from Vantage scores to Fico scores in your signature. The fact that you had Vantage scores there previously made me think you were referring to them, which we know should be ignored.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.