cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone seen this kind of jump before?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone seen this kind of jump before?

I just got a 42 point bump on my Experian today, which was completely unexpected. TU was previously my highest, but TU and Equifax hasn't updated, so I expect it to be the highest again in a few days. But 42 points for a 98% decrease on 1 CC balance? WOW! Has anyone seen that before. The highest jump I've seen on my report was from a judgement being removed last year and a 32 point jump. One of my First PRemier cards is acting funny and normally reports on the 5th of each month, but since it's paid down by 93% it decided not to report this month? Real cute. I have two more accounts to report next week, and I'll be looking pretty decent from the start of the month. 

One other thing. Should I expect these kind of increases on my 3B reports?  They were already higher than my Fico 8 scores to begin with. Well my mortgage and Auto 3B scores were. But I really need these scores to show increases also. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone seen this kind of jump before?

I dont think this is widely unusual, that was high util reporting on that card.

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you've seen that before? 42 point increase off one CC report  I wouldn't call a usual event. 

Message 3 of 10
HiLine
Blogger

The highest I've seen of my own scores is 36. I'm guessing that you do not have many open accounts.

Message 4 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Yes maxed out cards can have a great influence.The biggest change I have  seen on my profile was with  with ALL accounts reporting 1$..(even worse than maxed out card) . I know this was a real crazy test but I was simply curious to see what would happen if I let 1$ report on each of the 8 accounts at that time (in 2013) and then the next cycle 8$ on 1 account and all the 7 others with 0 balance.   To my big surprise the difference was 45 points.  This test was with the former Fico EQ score.  Once I have all accounts pretty much to 0 I will repeat that test again and see if the formula of Fico 8 has changed or if acting similar.   Congrats and I would expect the other scores to follow with a nice bump too.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

HiLine, I'm not sure what you're asking. All 5 of my credit cards are open. 

Message 6 of 10
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I had an Amex backdate and got a 70 pt jump.
I kept trying to get another one to help out AofA and couldn't get it before they quit backdating
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 7 of 10
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

I got a 60pt bump in 2 weeks on EX through getting last collection removed, AAoA crossing 2 years and Installments below 9% utilization.  Typically there are a few factors working together to get a massive score change.

Message 8 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got a 42 point bump on my Experian today, which was completely unexpected. TU was previously my highest, but TU and Equifax hasn't updated, so I expect it to be the highest again in a few days. But 42 points for a 98% decrease on 1 CC balance? WOW! Has anyone seen that before. The highest jump I've seen on my report was from a judgement being removed last year and a 32 point jump. One of my First PRemier cards is acting funny and normally reports on the 5th of each month, but since it's paid down by 93% it decided not to report this month? Real cute. I have two more accounts to report next week, and I'll be looking pretty decent from the start of the month. 

One other thing. Should I expect these kind of increases on my 3B reports?  They were already higher than my Fico 8 scores to begin with. Well my mortgage and Auto 3B scores were. But I really need these scores to show increases also. 

Congratulations on the score increase, I presume those are myFICO reported scores? not directly from EX?

For clarification, when you say a 98% decrease, which of these scenarios describes that:

1) On a $500 limit, going from $100 reporting to $2 reporting, or

2) On a $500 CL, going from 100% of $500 reporting to 2% of $500 reporting?

There is a really significant difference between the two scenarios.

Since your scores indicate you are rebuilding, it is quite possible also that one of your remainder Baddies has somehow temporarily (or permanently) dropped from your EX calculation. That won't give an alert when it goes away, but it will (presuming it actually happened, I'm speculating) result in a score increase the next time a card reports / alerts. If it comes back, unfortunately, the score would drop. Some members have real roller coasters going on with particular reports as certain items oscillate in and out of the report.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores jumped 80 points dropping my utilization from 80% to less a few percent.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/80-utilization-and-750-FICO-score-and-low...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.