cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I maxed my scores by having tax liens?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Have I maxed my scores by having tax liens?

I think my scores are "ok" considering what I went though 5-6 years ago. That bad time wrapped up early in 2010 and I really started to actively take control of rebuilding my credit in the Summer of '12. Went from having $1800. in available credit in July of that year and am now up to $23,500. Still far from my highest single card limit of just over $80k before everything went down hill. It will take awhile to get back to that point if it happens again. The reason for this post is I'm wondering when my scores might start to climb more. I'm at a point where I can't get them to go any higher. I've been experimenting with utilization in the single digits. Tried 5-7% then 3% and am now showing 1%. I monitor EQ here and through DCU, TU though Walmart and checked my EX once here to see what it was. They haven't moved. The only change that I saw was Credit Sesame (EX FACO) a few days ago. That went from 668-674. Waiting for Walmart to post this month's TU score to see if going from 3-1% bumped it up at all. Most of my credit lines have been growing. The only lender that shows me very, very little love is GE Cap. I can almost never get an increase from them while Barclays and Cap 1 have been growing nicely.

I know the 5 tax liens are hurting my scores. Those and the BK give me a total of 6 derogs. I could pay off one that's about $160. but I don't think that will help. The next up is $350. I can do that one too. Next up is about $1725. That would be a little more work. My tax advisor has discussed doing an offer in compromise for the IRS liens. Maybe I can get them taken care of for about $2k with his fees. The other tax liens are with the state. They really don't work with people. Just want their money. Not all of them are reporting on all of my reports. I have a payment plan with the state. $100.00 per month to keep them off my back. At that rate I'll never pay down what I owe. The IRS liens are currently listed as uncollectible.

Tax lien amount and reporting on -

$160.00 state - EQ, TU,

$330.00 IRS - TU, EX

$1725.00 IRS - EQ, TU, EX

$7400.00 state - EQ, TU, EX

$13700.00 IRS - EQ, TU,

Current scores -

EX - 651 (FICO 06/05/14) 0 inquiries in the last year 4 liens and 1 BK

TU - 659 (Walmart 06/03/14 ) 6 inquiries. All over 1 year old. They will all fall off between 8-17 and 9-22-14. 5 liens and 1 BK

EQ 08 - 683 (FICO -06/06/13) - EQ04 - 699 (DCU 06/27/14) 1 inquiry in the last year. 4 liens and 1 BK

Other than that, my old mortgage of $510k isn't listed as being included in my BK. It just lists a number of lates (30, 60, 90 and multiple 120+). And EX and EQ both list a late car payment in 9/07. I don't recall that so I'm disputing it along with the mortgage. Don't know if these two things are costing me some points.

So what do you think? My goal is having everything at 720 or above and trying to figure out what to do to get the scores to move upwards some more.

Sorry to be so long and thank you in advance for any advice. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Have I maxed my scores by having tax liens?

Based on what you describe, it would appear that derogatories are the dominant issue.

Derogatories gradually lose their impact with time.  You can get an idea of how the aging process works for specific derogatories by doing some research in back threads of this forum.

Message 2 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Most of those liens are from 2009, '10 and '11. The one for $160. is from November of last year. I now that their impact demishes with time. Just don't know how much the older ones are hurting me.  My scores really don't take much if any hit with the $160. lien. Maybe because I have so many that one more really didn't matter? 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Most of the liens are from 2009, '10 and '11. The one for $160. is from last November. That one didn't have much if any impact on my scores. Maybe because I already had 5 other derogs and new ones don't matter as much after a certain number?   Or my scores were improving a little but lost that ground because of the new one. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@masscredit wrote:

Most of the liens are from 2009, '10 and '11. The one for $160. is from last November. That one didn't have much if any impact on my scores. Maybe because I already had 5 other derogs and new ones don't matter as much after a certain number?   Or my scores were improving a little but lost that ground because of the new one. 

I struggle to find examples where FICO isn't graded on a step function: the more derogatories of a certain type you have, the less they harm you.  

I don't know if you've maxxed out your scores but you could be close on some of them: I know on EQ '04 I couldn't really budge my scores regardless of what I did, even a new tax lien only dropped it 5 points when it reported.  When I got it off, got roughly the same back napkin math wise.  For my report 680 might be as good as it gets... ergo, no mortgage for me and I'm at 676 now.

+1 to UserG's comment: derogatories almost always dominate people's score, especially if they're any sort of recent.  The BK is a backbreaker, and State tax liens are awful as for many states there's no way to get them off your report outside the SOL.  

As for the real issue, do the napkin math regarding income and assets and subtract expenses the IRS deems legitimate (these are published) and then multiply that by the number of months left 10 years from your tax asssessment date on your liens (should be on your tax transcript which if your advisor hasn't already gotten for you, do it yourself and forget the advisor).  That's what the IRS does for it's math on whether an OIC would be accepted... don't believe the hype on OIC's honestly, the fact is EVERY SINGLE advertisement leaves out is how much time was left on the SOL (we saved a person thousands!  When there was only 1 year or left to collect... and the person would've probably been better off just continuing to hide under a rock), and with likely 6-7 years left to collect, I'm just guessing that the IRS will expect you to pay the full boat.  Most advisors be scam-like though the IRS Is trying to crack down on that.

Personally I just spent the $40 on the Nolo publication Stand Up to the IRS and did it myself: even though I personally only needed a small part of it, it was well worth the money.

        
Message 5 of 13
nycfico
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I struggle to find examples where FICO isn't graded on a step function: the more derogatories of a certain type you have, the less they harm you.  

I don't know if you've maxxed out your scores but you could be close on some of them: I know on EQ '04 I couldn't really budge my scores regardless of what I did, even a new tax lien only dropped it 5 points when it reported.  When I got it off, got roughly the same back napkin math wise.  For my report 680 might be as good as it gets... ergo, no mortgage for me and I'm at 676 now.

+1 to UserG's comment: derogatories almost always dominate people's score, especially if they're any sort of recent.  The BK is a backbreaker, and State tax liens are awful as for many states there's no way to get them off your report outside the SOL.  

As for the real issue, do the napkin math regarding income and assets and subtract expenses the IRS deems legitimate (these are published) and then multiply that by the number of months left 10 years from your tax asssessment date on your liens (should be on your tax transcript which if your advisor hasn't already gotten for you, do it yourself and forget the advisor).  That's what the IRS does for it's math on whether an OIC would be accepted... don't believe the hype on OIC's honestly, the fact is EVERY SINGLE advertisement leaves out is how much time was left on the SOL (we saved a person thousands!  When there was only 1 year or left to collect... and the person would've probably been better off just continuing to hide under a rock), and with likely 6-7 years left to collect, I'm just guessing that the IRS will expect you to pay the full boat.  Most advisors be scam-like though the IRS Is trying to crack down on that.

Personally I just spent the $40 on the Nolo publication Stand Up to the IRS and did it myself: even though I personally only needed a small part of it, it was well worth the money.

You said you can't get a mortgage with a 676 score?  Really?  While I realize you wouldn't get the best rates, it would seem to be that that would be enough to qualify for a mortgage, no?

Message 6 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

10 years from your tax asssessment date, would that be the date when the lien was filed? I'll have to pull my paperwork for the.  One was filed in Feb of '05 so it's almost 5 1/2 years old. Next up is March of '10, Feb and Oct of '11 and then Nov of '13. I can easily take care of the last two. They total about $500. 

Can they still pursue collections if the amount owed isn't paid by the end of the 10 years or does it just go away for good?

The only movement that I had on my scores recently was TU went from 659 to 656 this week after my utilization went from 3 to 1%. Guess it didn't like that. Other than that, there isn't really anything that I know of that can increase my scores some more. Either time to let things age or try to work a deal to take care of the liens. But as I said, the state doesn't takes offers.  They want it all. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

And looking at my income/expenses, they are pretty close. There really isn't anyting substancial left over after I take care of my monthly expenses. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@nycfico wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

You said you can't get a mortgage with a 676 score?  Really?  While I realize you wouldn't get the best rates, it would seem to be that that would be enough to qualify for a mortgage, no?

I should've been more clear: qualified yes, afford no Smiley Happy.

I'm in So Cal and for jumbo loans the lenders I talked to wanted 30% down sub-700.

        
Message 9 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@masscredit wrote:

10 years from your tax asssessment date, would that be the date when the lien was filed? I'll have to pull my paperwork for the.  One was filed in Feb of '05 so it's almost 5 1/2 years old. Next up is March of '10, Feb and Oct of '11 and then Nov of '13. I can easily take care of the last two. They total about $500. 

Can they still pursue collections if the amount owed isn't paid by the end of the 10 years or does it just go away for good?

The only movement that I had on my scores recently was TU went from 659 to 656 this week after my utilization went from 3 to 1%. Guess it didn't like that. Other than that, there isn't really anything that I know of that can increase my scores some more. Either time to let things age or try to work a deal to take care of the liens. But as I said, the state doesn't takes offers.  They want it all. 

The assessment has to happen before the lien was filed: every filed return (or unfiled, substitute for return gets generated and assessed, no bueno, always file even if you can't pay but I digress), and the IRS explicitly has 10 years from that date to collect under the SOL. 

As I understand it, though there's conflicting reports online, the collection arm of the IRS is barred from pursuing the debt after that.  

To give an example of this, I was working through a couple of liens: one was filed 3/2004, but the assessment date was in 10/2003: once 10/2013 came around it was unenforceable.  Typically the IRS was sending me notices on all my liens, and the November round of nastygrams didn't include that one whereas the one several months prior to that did.

Regarding the income vs. expenses: you may be in line for a OIC, but do the full monty calculation - it's similar to the one you would've had to do for the BK: when I was looking at a Ch 13 vs. OIC/Installment Agreement the calculations were pretty much identical... which I suppose makes sense.  Anyway an OIC can be a drawn out process, so do the napkin math before heading down that road.

        
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.