Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever heard of this???

tag
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

Have you ever heard of this???

While browsing the internet in hopes of calming my ever growing obsession with my credit ratings, I came across a site (http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/DrDon/20061117_credit_FICO_Vantage_a1.asp) where the difference between the FICO score and Vantage score was broken down. The writer says that multiplying your Vantage score by .86 will give you your actual Experian FICO. I mean, the math worked out for that particular person, but is it really THAT simple?

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Have you ever heard of this???

@currentlywinning wrote:

While browsing the internet in hopes of calming my ever growing obsession with my credit ratings, I came across a site (http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/DrDon/20061117_credit_FICO_Vantage_a1.asp) where the difference between the FICO score and Vantage score was broken down. The writer says that multiplying your Vantage score by .86 will give you your actual Experian FICO. I mean, the math worked out for that particular person, but is it really THAT simple?

No.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 8
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

Thats a relief! THANK YOU for repsonding!

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

There is simply no calculation or formula or algebraic expression to convert one type of score to another.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 8
p-
Valued Contributor

Thats like saying if you multiply someone's score in the Miss America pageant by .86 you'll get their Miss Universe score.  They may both be beauty/talent contests, but the scoring is completely different.  Although it might work for one person.

Message 5 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Reverse engineering a FAKO/FICO formula based on a single person's scores, or even a small sample looks good on paper, but it does not work in the real world.

There really is no conversion between FICO and FAKOs, although many people have attempted to derive one....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 8
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

Thanks again everyone- this forum ROCKS!

And LOL @ p-!!!!! Youre right.

Message 7 of 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Using that formula, my FICO score would be 839 (I have a Vantage Score of 975 - thanks for that info, CreditKarma).  My actual FICO scores about about 40 points lower than that.  DW's Vantage Score is 990, which converts to 851.  Her actual FICO scores are almost identical to mine.

Nice try, Dr. Don.  I guess that sample size of n=1 wasn't quite adequate to generate meaningful and reproducible results. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.