Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Clarify a Creditor's Inquiry Rights Please

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help Clarify a Creditor's Inquiry Rights Please

Guardian, if you have not done so in the last 12 months, I suggest you order your free annual credit report, mandated by the FCRA.  You can get it by going onto annualcreditreport.com.  It will give you the full skinny on all inquiries, and their codes.

If HSBC did a pull that was not authorized by you in relation to a CLI request, then they shold have coded it only as a regular account review, which would exclude it from credit scoring.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-25-2009 09:40 PM
Message 11 of 14
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Guardian wrote:

@ByrdMan

Thanks for the two cents as always, I had the same problem, making the distinction in the law and why I reached out. However, what gives them the PP in this case? I mean I didn't ask them for any credit, no collection, no new application, no employement and so where does the PP factor?

The fact that you have an account with them and they can do an AR whenever they feel like it. I agree that it stinks and that it should be coded as a soft. I bet that if you got the right person, it would get recoded as soft.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 14
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Guardian, if you have not done so in the last 12 months, I suggest you order your free annual credit report, mandated by the FCRA.  You can get it by going onto annualcreditreport.com.  It will give you the full skinny on all inquiries, and their codes.

If HSBC did a pull that was not authorized by you in relation to a CLI request, then they shold have coded it only as a regular account review, which would exclude it from credit scoring.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-25-2009 09:40 PM

My friend, I have not but the fact is that annualcreditreport is not going to give me anything that is existentially different. They run you through each provider to get the report, so the report the Equifax gives me through that offer or the one I get through them will be identical as Equifax is the source of the informaiton in both cases. Is that not correct?

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 13 of 14
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

The fact that you have an account with them and they can do an AR whenever they feel like it. I agree that it stinks and that it should be coded as a soft. I bet that if you got the right person, it would get recoded as soft.

Buddy you said it, it stinks and I know they have a right to ARs I have no problem with that but to do a hard one just to screw with you is wrong and should frankly be made illegal. I will see if I can get a hold of someone to recode it, thanks for the info and the support.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.