cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please. Does removing negatives from my CR remove them from my wife’s?

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Help Please. Does removing negatives from my CR remove them from my wife’s?

I have been successfully cleaning up my credit reports recently.  I have had some late payments removed from my report, and the account was a joint one with my wife.  Are they automatically removed from her account as well, or do I have to go through the same process with her CR as I did with mine?

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help Please. Does removing negatives from my CR remove them from my wife’s?

MidnightVoice wrote:

I have been successfully cleaning up my credit reports recently.  I have had some late payments removed from my report, and the account was a joint one with my wife.  Are they automatically removed from her account as well, or do I have to go through the same process with her CR as I did with mine?

Depends.. Who removed the lates?? The creditor or the CRA? If it was the CRA you need to follow the same process for her reports as well. If you are lucky and the creditor removed the lates they may also do so for the joint account holder.. Just remember though, your credit file is separate from your wife!
Message 2 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Tuscani wrote:

Depends.. Who removed the lates?? The creditor or the CRA? If it was the CRA you need to follow the same process for her reports as well. If you are lucky and the creditor removed the lates they may also do so for the joint account holder.. Just remember though, your credit file is separate from your wife!

I disputed my reprort to the CRA. I know the accounts are seperate, I was just hoping......

And it is hilarious that her credit scores are higher than mine - all the same problems, but her dentist gave her a credit card to pay some expensive bills (I paid them), so she had more than twice as much available credit as me, and hence higher scores  Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Yea, you will need to dispute hers separately. I know it's a pain.. but credit files are separate for good reason. Luckily, you should have no problems getting them deleted for her since yours were removed.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

With joint accounts, you need to watch all 6 CRs.

DW and I got a couple of old lates deleted via GW, but one of the TLs would not move off of TU. Fought with TU, a couple of calls, and finally a CMRRR letter before it went away.

Then, one of the TLs reappeared on DW's TU, and a CMRRR letter got it off TU again. I didn't sue TU over it, but I'm resolving to be less nice with the CRAs.

Message 5 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I can see I am going to be very disputive this year  Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.