Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help explain score Drop..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help explain score Drop..

So today Experian sent me a score alert! Apparently I had an address change? However looking at the updated address, its the exact same as the previous listed one. The problem however, is that my Experian scored dropped 2 points because of it!! Hard to explain these algorithms, but address changes should effect your score, especially when its the same exact ADDRESS!! Any ideas?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help explain score Drop..

Your Fico score would not drop due to an address change or update it doesnt even enter the Fico equation. Something else changed on the report and it will most likely be something behind the scenes like an AAoA drop, a change in the way a single month is being reported by one creditor. I would put any time into finding what changed. Personally I dont look for whys unless the score change exceeds +- 20 pts.

Message 2 of 8
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So today Experian sent me a score alert! Apparently I had an address change? However looking at the updated address, its the exact same as the previous listed one. The problem however, is that my Experian scored dropped 2 points because of it!! Hard to explain these algorithms, but address changes should effect your score, especially when its the same exact ADDRESS!! Any ideas?

You didn't mention whether anything changed about your living situation. Did you change apartments in the same building or anything? Roommate move out? If you did, that may have been a hard pull for the updated contract. -2 is average for one hp. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 3 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

+1 to the INQ idea.

"Address Change" on your credit report does not mean someone went in and edited that specific address, a lender probably sent an address in, and it did not exactly match (including all trailing spaces, capitalization, etc) an existing address you had on file. Your actual full credit report will probably now show a new address entry when you get the updated report.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suspect something is terribly wrong at Experian.  They detected a balance change of $600 on one of my credit cards (utilization went from 1% ato 8%).  I got a notice that Experian lowered my score by 48 points for this!!  (From 724 to 676).   Even worse - Experian noticed when I paid off the entire balance within a few weeks -- and my score didn't budge.  Overall, my financial situation hasn't changed in a year; I keep all my current bills paid in full; It's been a year since I took out a car loan (all payments current).

Shouldn't I get my 48 points back when I immediately paid off the $600 that 'caused' the score to drop?  It took a long time to recover to 724.... and a second to go to 676.

What rules apply to definitely determine a credit score?  Why did this one random payment I made by credit card rather than check kill my score?  This incident has proved more than any other that the scoring system is a scam.  We deserve far better than this.

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect something is terribly wrong at Experian.  They detected a balance change of $600 on one of my credit cards (utilization went from 1% ato 8%).  I got a notice that Experian lowered my score by 48 points for this!!  (From 724 to 676).   Even worse - Experian noticed when I paid off the entire balance within a few weeks -- and my score didn't budge.  Overall, my financial situation hasn't changed in a year; I keep all my current bills paid in full; It's been a year since I took out a car loan (all payments current).

Shouldn't I get my 48 points back when I immediately paid off the $600 that 'caused' the score to drop?  It took a long time to recover to 724.... and a second to go to 676.

What rules apply to definitely determine a credit score?  Why did this one random payment I made by credit card rather than check kill my score?  This incident has proved more than any other that the scoring system is a scam.  We deserve far better than this.

No one knows the exact way Fico works and we never will its a well guarded secret. If thats your only card and you took it to near the CL it could cause this much of a drop, recovery of all points may take some time as well there are buckets in Fico and you have to prove you can maintain at a certain level before you move into a higher scoring bucket,.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Your Fico score would not drop due to an address change or update it doesnt even enter the Fico equation. Something else changed on the report and it will most likely be something behind the scenes like an AAoA drop, a change in the way a single month is being reported by one creditor. I would put any time into finding what changed. Personally I dont look for whys unless the score change exceeds +- 20 pts.

I feel like I'm following gdale around; I just quoted his response in another thread too.

But OP, listen to this advice. I know it's hard when you're rebuilding, and every jump is a cause for celebration. But, you will drive yourself insane if you try to figure out the cause for every little change.

Keep plugging along, making all your payments on time and whenever possible, in full, and keeping an eye on utilization, and trust in the fact that as you build up a positive payment history, it will have a much bigger impact on your score in the long term than the occasional couple point blips here and there for inquires, status changes, etc.

I've just made the promise to myself that I'm only updating the scores in my sig one a month, or, if there's been a 10+/- change on any one score. I'm letting myself focus on the big picture, and ensuring that progress is consistently in the right direction; I'm finding it's taking a lot of pressure off not stressing about the small stuff.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No one knows the exact way Fico works and we never will its a well guarded secret. If thats your only card and you took it to near the CL it could cause this much of a drop, recovery of all points may take some time as well there are buckets in Fico and you have to prove you can maintain at a certain level before you move into a higher scoring bucket,.

For that much of a score drop, there's something else going on (there's always something else going onSmiley Happy )

The card is noted as "one of my cards", so there's multiple in the wallet, it's not a 100% utilization change issue.

"It took a long time to recover" implies there is some history of lates, chargeoffs, potentially a BK or other baddies, and if those had a disputes letter, and a disputes letter expired or was removed at the same time as the balance change, viola, alignment and misdirection about the real cause of score change.

It's not the utilization change.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.