Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand my scores...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me understand my scores...

My credit scores on creditkarma have always been around 690-720 or so.  Last week, then my one score plummetted to 658 while the other shot up to 792.  This week that once low score shot up 118 points to 776.  I'm not complaining about 792 and 776, but I have zero clue as to why it's happening. 

Has anyone had this dramatic a jump before?  And what was the reason?  Some inquiries are about to fall off from an app spree, but that will be next month.  I can't think of anything else that I'm doing differently, kind of makes me feel like I don't know what I'm doing. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help me understand my scores...

What are you using to check your scores?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditkarma

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick update...

My scores plummetted the next week.  Equifax is now at 683, which is lower than before the spike, and my Transunion score dropped to 753.  Has anyone ever experienced these kind of swings and know the reason for them.  I can't think of anything that I am doing.  I have some inquiries falling off, but I figured that would help me. 

Message 4 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Credit Karma uses a different scoring model (Vantage) that not many lenders use at the moment so they're not a reliable indicator of your true score; I would use CK primairly as just seeing changes on your account such as collections, balances, utilization, inquiries, etc.

If you really want to find out your true FICO score though and get the real picture sign up for a free FICO score like Discover's creditscore.com (FICO EX report) or even better go to creditchecktotal.com and get all 3 scores on their $1 trial and cancel the membership before the 7 days are up so you don't get charged further.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice.  I know CK isn't as accurate as others, but the swings have me worried that I'm missing something. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma isn't your friend.  They're a marketing company who only listens to and cares about credit lenders, not borrowers.

Their goal is to get you more credit so they make a commission.

The numbers they feed you are as useless as lipstick on a pig.  The scores have no connection to reality other than by luck with some individuals.

Message 7 of 8
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the advice.  I know CK isn't as accurate as others, but the swings have me worried that I'm missing something. 

You can download and print your TU and EQ reports from each date, from CK, and see what is going on that make the VantageScore change so much.

Maybe a new account, maybe a glitch, maybe other thing.

Most people don't worry about VS and only FICO. Just check your reports from CK to see if something is wrong. If you find something wrong pull your reports from the bureaus to confirm is not a CK glitch. Good luck.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.