cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - should I get an increase in my FICO score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help - should I get an increase in my FICO score?

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here and trying to rebuild my credit.

I recently went back to school and because I had student loans in the past in which I was paying on time - I submitted deferment paperwork to defer those payments until I finish school once again, That paperwork for the deferment wasn't processed correctly and my student loans were a bit late to the lender, and my score went down almost 60 pts. When I got the notification from Score Watch - I immediately went into action and got the paperwork submitted to update my credit report. I finally got that deferment paperwork submitted and approved and the bank stated that they've submitted the paperwork to be retroactive to my school date which covers the 90 days late - which helped lower my FICO score.

My problem is this, during my investigation I found 5 additional records that were all old student loans that were consolidated into my 2 current loans - they were showing 120 days late from 2004. I called the bank and after getting the standard run around, I found that I had to dispute the charges and records with EQ and they would investigate.  2 Days letter I get an email from EQ that they have resolved my dispute and deleted those 5 records with the derogatory information (120 days late for 5 records). With those records being deleted and the other 2 records being updated to current and pays on time/not late - how much of a jump in my FICO score should I expect? My score was 640 before all of this occured should I expect my score to go up from there?

Thanks

EQ 640

TU 680

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help - should I get an increase in my FICO score?

Fixing the 90 day would result in your biggest increase. Expect a return of those points.

The older SLs can be a little more trickier to figure out. When were the open dates on those five and how old is your AAoA on TU and EQ?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have to calculate the AAOA - I don't know it off hand - the open dates for those 5 date back to 1994 although they were last updates in 2004.

Thanks 

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You should be able to find AAoA on your two FICO reports on either pages 2 or 3.

If these accounts are 15 years old, and if your AAoA is less than 15, you might see a drop if score if these 120 late TLs are removed. If depends if these are your oldest and if your AAoA drops, and by how much.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.