Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help w/FICO score...confused

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help w/FICO score...confused

@Anonymous wrote:

After opening Victoria Secrets with the SCT I instantly regretted it. If I could close it without it affecting my credit I would. I've actually only used it twice to buy gifts for others at Bath & Body. The advice these credit monitoring services have given me are stirring me in the wrong direction apparently, such as, "try to obtain a credit limit ovr $2500...," or something of that nature.

If it is genuinely painful to know that you have that open VS card, then as ABCD says you should feel free to close it. 

On the other hand, if you feel like it would be pretty easy to make a purchase on it every 18 months or so, you can also keep it open for a while.  You can always close it 5-6 years from now, after you have a broader portfolio of open credit lines.

An eventual goal you should consider is to close all store cards.  Store cards are considered a bad thing by the insurance industry (though not by FICO).  It may be a very minor ding to your insurance score, or it may be a bit more significant.  Nobody knows for sure.

But by all means do not close open store cards if that could bring your total number of open cards to below 3.

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.