Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Score -CC related

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with Score -CC related

Hi there,

I am new here and trying really hard to bump my score over 620 to qualifty for a home loan. On experian yesterday it showed my score at 596 with 9% credit currently available.Today most of my cards updated and it now shows 33% credit currently available (we have been working hard to get rid of them) however it didn't change my score at all. It still comes in at 596 and I improved the available credit by 25%.  Does it take a few days after something reports on your credit to see a score increase?  This whole thing is so frustrating. Its like my score just wont move past 600!! Argh.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help with Score -CC related

Welcome to the forums!

Good news! Your FICO score isn't 596. One than from one CU in PA, the only place to get your EX FICO score, other than from a lender, was via myFICO. Unfortunately, EX decided that consumers no longer can get access to their own FICO score. Unless you live in PA, there's no other place to get your EX FICO. However, you can pull both TU and EQ FICO scores from here. The only other place to get your TU FICO is via transunioncs.com (note the -cs) and Equifax.com for EQ (FICO and EQ partnered up by providing scores through there too). If you get scores from any other place they are likely not FICO scores.

You are likely referring to one of many of EX's services like freecreditreport.com or creditchecktotal. I use creditchecktotal (CCT) but their scores aren't FICO scores and their advice is useless. But the info from those reports are still good. I've notices their scores don't change when major events occur, like dropped util or removed baddies.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that might help. I will go pull it here and see what I come up with. Man this is all so confusing and is starting to become an obsession for me lol

Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

tinkerbell1977 wrote:

Well that might help. I will go pull it here and see what I come up with. Man this is all so confusing and is starting to become an obsession for me lol

Well, to complicate things, as of mid-February, you can't pull your own EX FICO score from anywhere (unless you belong to PSECU which is a CU in PA).
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh Crud!! Now I am really freaked out. So the experian (free credit report.com one) says 596. TU shows 611 and then on myfico.com here when I did just a scorewatch program for EQ it was 549!!! I will never get a house this year Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Where did you pull the TU score?

Also, fixing your credit doesn't have to be a long process. When I first started, I had FICO scores in the low to mid-500s and got them into the mid 600s within 30-45 days. It was hard work. Wasn't cheap with all the letters, but well worth it. The biggest thing to tackle is utilization. If you have a few CCs, I bet you can get 70+ points on each CRA just by paying all your cards to $0 with one reporting a small balance under 9%.
Message Edited by llecs on 05-15-2009 02:12 PM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the TU score from the web site you provided for them. I paid $14.95 for the report and score to see if I could see anything not acurate. The only thing I saw was a medical collection that has been on there  for 5 years that I had no clue about. Now I am confused as to if I should call and pay it to get it closed or if that will further hurt my score since this is already so old.
Message 7 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Go visit the Medical Debts board. There's a process that's recommended called the HIPAA process. It has worked for many in removing medical CA accounts.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.