Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Score Watch Alert......

tag
smb0730
Established Member

Help with Score Watch Alert......

Can someone please explain the second half of this to me? The part about moving from one category of creat users to another? The first section doesn't applly to me so it has to be the second and I've never heard of such a thing.....

Your FICO® score went down on a day when there were no credit alerts on your Equifax Credit Report™. This can happen if:

• There was a change on your credit report that lowered your score but did not trigger an alert. For example, the balance on an account might have increased enough to lower your score, but not enough to trigger a balance increase alert.
  • You moved from one category of credit users to another as time passed. For example, you may have transitioned from the category "consumers with a new credit history" to the category "consumers with a two- to five-year credit history". As a result, your credit report is evaluated differently, causing a slight change in your score. The good news is that moving between categories like this usually offers you the potential to reach a higher FICO® score in the future.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Help with Score Watch Alert......

The slang for this is "rebucketing." (The proper term is changing scorecards.)

FICO divides us up into 10 (12?) groups of consumers with similar characteristics. There are two negative buckets: for presence of a serious derogatory and/or presence of a public record. The rest are considered positive, and they seem to be divided up according to length of history (AAoA and/or longest history) and whether or not you have a new account within 6 months, and maybe something else.

When you're in a weaker bucket, or a negative bucket, you might look better than your peers, and your scores are higher than theirs. When you "graduate" for whatever reason, you might now be with peers with better credit profiles than yours, so your score might drop initially. But with time, your scores do rise again, and eventually they should wind up higher than they could have been if you had remained in your previous bucket.

This seems horribly unfair when it first happens, but when you think about it, it's to your benefit. Otherwise, we would all be compared to those with 30 years of history, no negatives whatsoever, and barely registering util.

Sometimes your score can increase when you change buckets. For instance, mine just dropped 10 points when a new account hit 7 months old. (No longer in "new credit" bucket.) Presumably, if I added another account, I'd go back in the new credit bucket and my scores would increase again, at least for another six months. Go figure.

In your case, has a negative fallen off? Did either your AAoA or longest history get a year older? Did a newish account get a bit less new?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
smb0730
Established Member

That makes sense I guess. It couldn't be any worse timing though. My husband and I put an offer in on a house and I've been working on my credit for the last year. I've gotten all of my baddies removed except for one. I'm currently working on a settlement amount with that company. Anyhow, my credit score was up to 675 at Experian (I know, not fabulous, but way better than where it was a year ago) and I was at 690 at Transunion. Well, I got that notice emailed me today and it's dropped down to 645. Since my credit is worse than my husband's, the lender has to use my scores. Up until yesterday, I would've been in good shape, but now this really puts me in a bad spot. Our interest rate is going to suck.

Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@smb0730 wrote:

That makes sense I guess. It couldn't be any worse timing though. My husband and I put an offer in on a house and I've been working on my credit for the last year. I've gotten all of my baddies removed except for one. I'm currently working on a settlement amount with that company. Anyhow, my credit score was up to 675 at Experian (I know, not fabulous, but way better than where it was a year ago) and I was at 690 at Transunion. Well, I got that notice emailed me today and it's dropped down to 645. Since my credit is worse than my husband's, the lender has to use my scores. Up until yesterday, I would've been in good shape, but now this really puts me in a bad spot. Our interest rate is going to suck.

Ouch!!! Smiley Sad

It might be because that next-to-last baddie fell off, and what's left isn't a serious derog. Is it either a 30-day, or a 60-day that's older than 2 years old? If so, you've moved into a clean history bucket.

What are your remaining negatives, if I can ask? I'm guessing that high revolving util is one of them. If so, is there any way that you can get it down, if only by paying your CC's early, before the statement, so that they report smaller balances?

And where I highlighted Experian above --did you mean Equifax? Because we can't get our Experian FICO scores from Experian any more.

One last thought --it looks like your score drop was on TU. If so, the TU here is version TU98, and many lenders now pull TU04. It's possible that your lender will pull a higher TU score.  edit: cancel this, your thread is titled "Score Watch Alert", which means Equifax.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
smb0730
Established Member

Well, this is where it gets even more annoying. It's not credit util. I only have two credit cards and they both have a zero balance. It's from a dirty collection agency called Asset Acceptance. They are trying to collect on a Citibank account that they say I owed $5000+ to years ago. I've called Citibank and they don't even have me in their system. Asset Acceptance reports to the 3 CRA's that I'm 120+ late and owe over $11,000!!!!! (plus they are kind enough to add interest every month to extra screw me). I've gone through the DV process and both Equifax (which is what I meant...sorry!) and TransUnion seem to think the debt is verified as mine. I would just be letting it go since it will fall of my credit reports next year, but I have to have it taken care of in order to purchase a home. I don't have the time to go through the court process so I'm sucking it up and negotiating a settlement - even though it makes me sick to my stomach to do so.

Message 5 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Yeesh, worse and worse.

It's possible that you weren't rebucketed at all. Those Score Watch alerts can be pretty random --sort of a maybe-this-happened, and maybe-that-happened. I wouldn't be surprised if the score change was actually from Asset Acceptance fiddling with the dates in order to drop your score again and turn up the heat even more.  Smiley Mad

Good luck to you on this. You're a lot more calm about it (at least in your post!) than I would be, I'm afraid.

And to anyone else reading, this is why you freeze all three credit reports before you go looking for a mortgage, no matter how good your reports are. The credit bureaus sell the names of those who are applying for mortgages to zombie debt buyers, for this very reason. They know that if you're trying to close on a house, you're more likely to give them money, whether you truly owe it or not. Smiley Mad Smiley Mad  And why exactly is this legal?? You've got me.

Message 6 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

And to anyone else reading, this is why you freeze all three credit reports before you go looking for a mortgage, no matter how good your reports are.

Still, Liz Weston writes that "A credit freeze does not prevent your current lenders from reviewing your credit reports or adding new information to them. The best way to prevent negative information is to pay your bills on time, borrow only what you can afford to repay and prevent disputes from going to collections."

I should add that I don't know the first thing about freezes or lates or debt or anything like that. Smiley Tongue

But DW and I have just completed a refinance, today. "Congratulations!  Your Refinance escrow closed today." Smiley Very Happy

We never considered freezing our credit reports, maybe because they don't have any dark spots. But that's not to say stuff can't go wrong, or close to wrong. My middle score went down for several unforseen coincidental reasons at the time of locking. Good thing it wasn't too close!

Message 7 of 9
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your refinance!

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 8 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

And to anyone else reading, this is why you freeze all three credit reports before you go looking for a mortgage, no matter how good your reports are.

Still, Liz Weston writes that "A credit freeze does not prevent your current lenders from reviewing your credit reports or adding new information to them. The best way to prevent negative information is to pay your bills on time, borrow only what you can afford to repay and prevent disputes from going to collections."

I should add that I don't know the first thing about freezes or lates or debt or anything like that. Smiley Tongue

But DW and I have just completed a refinance, today. "Congratulations!  Your Refinance escrow closed today." Smiley Very Happy

We never considered freezing our credit reports, maybe because they don't have any dark spots. But that's not to say stuff can't go wrong, or close to wrong. My middle score went down for several unforseen coincidental reasons at the time of locking. Good thing it wasn't too close!

Very true. This is specifically done to prevent zombie debt collectors from getting your name as a hopeful home buyer and running your ID through pages and pages and pages of ancient collections in hopes of getting a hit. And that's exactly how this works. These aren't CA's who've been after you for years.

Ideally, you've never had collections. We thought we didn't have any either. But DXH had a medical collection on two of his reports, and we never knew it was there. Neither the billing service nor the CA bothered to notify us. (It was an out-of-state ER charge, where part was paid by insurance, but the rest wasn't. The billing service had screwed up, the insurance wouldn't pay the bill as coded, and rather than doing it right the second time, the billing service just sent it to collections.) And some people have never had collections period, but sloppy identification work winds up getting a collection assigned to them, even though it belongs to a complete stranger. The CA doesn't care (we're talking zombie debt collectors here) --they're just sniffing around, looking for an opportunity to make some easy money.

It might not happen often, but when it happens to you, it's a mell of a hess.

Congrats on your refi!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.