Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with credit report

I get my report quarterly on MY Fico and the most recent one I am trying to figure out. I have been paying off debt and I only have about 12 accounts with balances which includes my 1st and 2nd mortgage and car payment. There are a total of 44 accounts showing Paid or paying as agreed. Alot of those are or I thought closed accounts from refinances etc and the balance are paid off but open. I am getting hit negatively because it is showing: Number of your credit accounts currently paid as agreed

You have too many credit accounts.
44 accountsFICO High Achievers
[?] have an average of 6 accounts currently paid as agreed.

Most of these like I stated (like 32 of them are zero balance either paid or closed I thought. What should I do and will it improve my score. Currently it is the same as in Sept with a 645 with Transunion. Please any imput would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lisa Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Help with credit report

i wouldn't worry about it, personally.  i think my reports show about 25-30 accounts showing.  i also have 12 open revolving accounts & about 8 student loans showing.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is nothing to worry about why is it showing negatively on me, the 4 things under bad (amount of debt) are:

1) . You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

2.)  You have missed payments on your credit accounts. ( have two of those and one is almost 2 years old)

3)  You have too many credit accounts. (This the 44 accounts I mentioned in original posting)

4)  You have too many credit accounts with balances. This I mentioned also, out of the 12 accounts mentioned

1 is my first mortgage, 1 is 2nd mortgage, 1 is my car loan, and 2 are student loans I co-signed for my oldest

son. So in revolving credit cards I have 7 outstanding credit cards. I am paying off 2 in the next week and I will

only then have the 5.

Does not the rating see that some of the accounts with balances are loans like mortgages and cars and that should not be counted against you. And should I close some of the accounts of the 44 that are zero balances as long as they are not long term accounts??

Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 8
SCF
Valued Contributor

I think a good place to start would be fused's thread on Closing Credit Cards.  That can help you understand how closing those accounts might affect your score.  In your first post, it seemed like there might be some confusion about what accounts are open and which are closed.  Another good place to start might be reviewing your credit reports and records to see what the exact status of your accounts is and if there are any errors.

I don't think closed accounts should count towards "having too many accounts," so there may be some reporting errors you need to rectify.

Message 4 of 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it is nothing to worry about why is it showing negatively on me, the 4 things under bad (amount of debt) are:

1) . You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

2.)  You have missed payments on your credit accounts. ( have two of those and one is almost 2 years old)

3)  You have too many credit accounts. (This the 44 accounts I mentioned in original posting)

4)  You have too many credit accounts with balances. This I mentioned also, out of the 12 accounts mentioned

1 is my first mortgage, 1 is 2nd mortgage, 1 is my car loan, and 2 are student loans I co-signed for my oldest

son. So in revolving credit cards I have 7 outstanding credit cards. I am paying off 2 in the next week and I will

only then have the 5.

Does not the rating see that some of the accounts with balances are loans like mortgages and cars and that should not be counted against you. And should I close some of the accounts of the 44 that are zero balances as long as they are not long term accounts??

Smiley Indifferent

your #1, 2, & 4 also show up on my reports.

the reason i said don't worry about it is because many people here on the forums have more than 6 measly accounts.  as long as they are handled properly & responsibly, which it sounds like they are, i don't think it's anything to worry about.  like i said, that is just my opinion, & you of course are free to make your own decisions.  but after a while, the comments will gripe about any little thing you do, just to have something negative to say.  that is what i have learned here on the forums.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

This does seem to be a negative comment without teeth.

An awful lot of people with 30+ accounts seem to get this comment. On your Credit-at-a-Glance screen, is there a flag by number of accounts? I think that as laz said, the formula is scraping the barrel looking for more things to comment about.

Your best bet is to deal with the ones that you can control (#1, #2, and #4), and see if the comment goes away. Even if it doesn't, you might be happy enough with your scores to feel free to blow it off.

I definitely wouldn't try to get closed accounts to stop reporting! Once you start messing around with this sort of things, there can be some unexpected and unpleasant screw-ups by the CRA's.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
GFer
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

An awful lot of people with 30+ accounts seem to get this comment. On your Credit-at-a-Glance screen, is there a flag by number of accounts? I think that as laz said, the formula is scraping the barrel looking for more things to comment about.

Your best bet is to deal with the ones that you can control (#1, #2, and #4), and see if the comment goes away. Even if it doesn't, you might be happy enough with your scores to feel free to blow it off.

I definitely wouldn't try to get closed accounts to stop reporting! Once you start messing around with this sort of things, there can be some unexpected and unpleasant screw-ups by the CRA's.

I agree with htsu for those reasons and then some. If they are reported as open--and they have -0- balances, and have no lates associated with them (thus, positive lines); they are actually helping you. I used to get the comments about too many accounts. Those comments went away as I worked on my credit in other areas. I still have the flag, but my scores still go up. Don't put too much stock into that comment!

I'd be more concerned with the 'Too many accounts with balances'. I bet you see a nice increase by paying off two of those!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Absolutely. You might end up disputing closed accounts and killing your average age of accounts. Don't do it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.