cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's a question I have never seen before....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a question I have never seen before....

I know baddies bring your score down and zero baddies help your score.  I have no baddies and  5 yr old credit report....that's 60 months straight of on time payments with no collections, overliimits, or bad checks.  Does each and every month of this credit behavior increase incrementally hows the CC views you or do they look more in terms of 6 mos, 1 yr, or total length of you cc report?  Please and thank you.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Here's a question I have never seen before....

@Anonymous wrote:

I know baddies bring your score down and zero baddies help your score.  I have no baddies and  5 yr old credit report....that's 60 months straight of on time payments with no collections, overliimits, or bad checks.  Does each and every month of this credit behavior increase incrementally hows the CC views you or do they look more in terms of 6 mos, 1 yr, or total length of you cc report?  Please and thank you.

Nothing is so cut and dry with Fico scores. of course a clean report is a must. no doubt. but although your payment history is stellar. Like mine. many other things will supress your score. 5 years or not.

#1 Utilization. to maximize. you need to be 1-9% usage across board. preferably on 1 card.

inquiries can bring your score down too. like you my report is clean. Look at my signature. why is there a big difference in my scores?

I know exactly why.

EQ. 18 inquiries. Hence. 701 fico. Transunion. 4 inquries. 730 fico. and Ex 18 inquiries. 701 fico.

All 3 reports have the exact same information of them. to the letter. So my scores will rise and go down monthly. until i do someting different.

Im at 11% utilization right now.

When i get below 7%. my scores will Thrive. and also. depends on how many cards i have a balance. if i have a balance on 3 or less cards. High score time. So all depends on each of our situations. not cut and dry like you are thinking. 5 years. Your AAoA should be outstanding. sadly in my case. Oldest card. 20 months. AAoA is 10 months.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you clarify what you mean by CC?  That abbreviation typically is used for "credit card."  The company that issues a particular credit card is caled a CCC.  I am guessing you don't mean either of those, but probably mean FICO or some other maker of credit scoring algorithms.  Something like "Does ______ change how FICO views me..."

Not being word-picky -- just genuinely hoping to help you out but need to know first what you are asking.

Message 3 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does each and every month of this credit behavior increase incrementally hows the CC views you or do they look more in terms of 6 mos, 1 yr, or total length of you cc report?

As stated above it's not quite so cut and dry.  We don't know the specifics of every scoring model out there and how they evaluate the different factors.  There are many scoring models out there -- see also the stickies in this subforum for info on just the FICO models.  Additionally, creditors can and do have differing underwriting requirements.  Even products with a given creditor can have differing underwriting requirements.

However you really can't expect a continual scoring increase for every postiive month of payment history.  Granted, the more postiive the better and you really want 100% positive.  However, score is never just about one factor but how all the factors total up for you.  And approvals are not just about score either.

Message 4 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you get a late payment, 30, 60, whatever, that will stay on your credit report and ding your score for several years (seven I think). The initial impact will be the most severe, because it just happened. As time goes on, the effect may fade some, but it will be a major rock on top of the scores until all the baddies fall off, at which point the cardholder can expect a jump. 7 years out, or whatever the timeframe is.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 11
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

For me there was a step at 4 y/o oldest credit. My scores peaked around 770 below 4 years, 785 from 4 years to 6 years, and 800-810 at 6 y/o. The jump points were exactly at the oldest account reaching 4 y then 6 y.  I'm guessing there are bucket changes at those points.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@cashnocredit wrote:

For me there was a step at 4 y/o oldest credit. My scores peaked around 770 below 4 years, 785 from 4 years to 6 years, and 800-810 at 6 y/o. The jump points were exactly at the oldest account reaching 4 y then 6 y.  I'm guessing there are bucket changes at those points.

That would tend to make sense; do know oldest account is counted; which model was this tracked on?  EQ Beacon 5.0?

I do have a somewhat inexplicable non-trivial increase in my top purty FICO 8 score from where I was last year and it's not lost on me that my oldest tradeline crossed the 7 year mark even though my AAOA has stayed at 2 years.  Either that or there is a line between 10/20% installment utilization, hard to say on an individual file.

        
Message 7 of 11
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

That would tend to make sense; do know oldest account is counted; which model was this tracked on?  EQ Beacon 5.0?

I do have a somewhat inexplicable non-trivial increase in my top purty FICO 8 score from where I was last year and it's not lost on me that my oldest tradeline crossed the 7 year mark even though my AAOA has stayed at 2 years.  Either that or there is a line between 10/20% installment utilization, hard to say on an individual file.

It was on the MyFico EQ alerts which I set for maximum sensitivity. So it would have changed to FICO 8 just before the 6 y mark. I didn't see any real change going to FICO 8 with only one or two card reporting a balance. With all cards reporting a balance the earlier FICO would take a dump. FICO 8 also gets a hit but not as much. It seems to be about 10-15 points with all cards reporting a balance v just one with util at 5%..

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 8 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@cashnocredit wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

It was on the MyFico EQ alerts which I set for maximum sensitivity. So it would have changed to FICO 8 just before the 6 y mark. I didn't see any real change going to FICO 8 with only one or two card reporting a balance. With all cards reporting a balance the earlier FICO would take a dump. FICO 8 also gets a hit but not as much. It seems to be about 10-15 points with all cards reporting a balance v just one with util at 5%..

I assume you mean from Beacon 5 to Beacon 9 in this case?  IIRC by the time that switch happened you had a pretty file though I forget what your installment lines looked like at that point (or now) so I'm not surprised on that; 

Beacon 5 and 9 for me were pretty much in lockstep for most of the past year until recently I got the large FICO 8 boost for my installment utilization changes.  That besides the difference in derogatory weighting by age, and the not having open accounts of a given type currently (credit cards / revolving in particular) are really the only 3 major changes I've seen.

        
Message 9 of 11
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

I assume you mean from Beacon 5 to Beacon 9 in this case?  IIRC by the time that switch happened you had a pretty file though I forget what your installment lines looked like at that point (or now) so I'm not surprised on that; 

Beacon 5 and 9 for me were pretty much in lockstep for most of the past year until recently I got the large FICO 8 boost for my installment utilization changes.  That besides the difference in derogatory weighting by age, and the not having open accounts of a given type currently (credit cards / revolving in particular) are really the only 3 major changes I've seen.

I generally refer to the CRA and FICO generations (04, 8) rather than the CRA specific FICO branding so yes, that would be EQ FICO 04 -> 8.

At the time I had a closed, paid mortgage but it only had 1.5 y of history. As far as i could tell the mortgage never made a difference when it was active but I had CAs and a PR (all paid) during that entire time. The mortgage was closed before I reached the 4 y/o mark. I have never had any other LOCs except CCs. Also all the negs dropped off or were removed (PR) prior to the 4 y transition.

I haven't tracked EQ FICO 04 at the same time as FICO 8 but when it transitioned I didn't seen any material difference except that FICO 8 is less sensitive when all or most of my accounts had smal balances.

It would be interesting to test your observations re installment reporting and initial paydown on a clean report but it wouldn't make sense for me to do now and would look strange to anyone looking at my credit files.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.