Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High balance on AU card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

High balance on AU card

I recently had a discussion with my mom about being added as an AU to one of her credit cards. I think she's had the card for about 10 years, so it would help me on credit history length. However, she told me that the card is "usually almost maxed out." I'm thinking any score benefits from the longer history will be negated be the high utilization. Am I correct in thinking this?

Either way I'm gonna recommend she get a slate and transfer that balance, can't imagine how much interest she's paying every month
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: High balance on AU card

Being added on her card would help you if all of the following are true:

(1)  Her card is much older than your oldest account.  (E.g. if her card is ten years old and your oldest account is two years old.)

(2)  She has never had a late payment on that card.

(3)  You are confident that she would never have a late payment in the future.

(4)  Her current balance on that card is low (definitely < 30%, far better would be < 9%)

(5)  You are confident that she could keep her balance low in the future.

You are right that being added as an AU to a nearly maxed card would hurt you.

Your idea about her getting the Slate is good, but only if she has a disciplined plan in place for then steadily paying the Slate off while also steadily reducing her CC debt on all her other cards.  Otherwise the BT to the Slate will just represent a new source of credit so that she can buy more things, and she will ultimately be in worse shape than before.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.