cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High utilization on all accounts or one affect score?

tag
rlem

High utilization on all accounts or one affect score?

My FICO score dropped from 773 to 751 and I can't help but blame my SallieMae Card with a $4k balance of $10 CL.  My available credit between all my credit cards is close to $40k which makes my *total* credit utilization more around 10%.  Is it possible that carrying a high balance on a single card can hurt your score even if your total credit utilization between all credit cards is FAR below 30%?

SallieMae MasterCard | US Bank Cash+ | Chase Freedom | Discover More | BOA Travel Rewards
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: High utilization on all accounts or one affect score?

Your score is based on both individual cc and collective utilization.  Having one card with a 40% utilization may lower your score. Most people will suggest having only 1 card in your stable with a utilization of no more than 10% and the others at 0% for maximum scoring opportunity.  Everyone's mileage will vary.  For me, my best scores are with an overall utilization around 1%.  You have to show that you are using your credit in order to play the credit score game but "relying" on your CCs is considered to be a negative behaviour

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 2 of 5
taxi818
Super Contributor

The good thing is first.

Stop chasing the score. unless you have major purchase coming up.

If your score fell due to utilization on 1 card and you are still under 10percent. don't even worry about. as utilization absolutly has no memory.

so as your high balance on that card is paid down. your score will increase accordingly. meaning that 4000 you charged is what you needed at time.

not a bad thing at all.

example. my good good friend score last month. was 602.

he was at 97percent overall utilization.

however has not missed a single payment in years. no lates. no baddies what so ever just maxxed out everything to go to world cup in brazil.

his total limits were 13k.

charged iirc. 12.700.

I said wth.

he paid over all cards. 11.400.

leaving 1300 balance over mulitple cards.

his score went up immediatly when i reported this month. to 728. 126 point increase on transunion. due to utilization alone. so if you got a big purchase at that point. the score does not matter. it only matters not to be late. and take care of things properly. as the balance decreases your score will not only increase. but be at the level it should have been if the large purchase was never there. providing that utilization is the only reason for the dip.

Message 3 of 5
rlem

So carrying a balance beyond 30% on a single CC can hurt your score even if total utilization across all cards is well under 10%?

My concern is that I dropped from 773 to 752... only a couple points from losing "Excellent" credit.

I will be getting an apartment soon, so I guess this doesn't really matter unless I'm taking a mortgage.

SallieMae MasterCard | US Bank Cash+ | Chase Freedom | Discover More | BOA Travel Rewards
Message 4 of 5
taxi818
Super Contributor

@rlem wrote:

So carrying a balance beyond 30% on a single CC can hurt your score even if total utilization across all cards is well under 10%?

My concern is that I dropped from 773 to 752... only a couple points from losing "Excellent" credit.

I will be getting an apartment soon, so I guess this doesn't really matter unless I'm taking a mortgage.

Yes. High utilization even on 1 card will hurt. But keep in mind. Even at 752. You are getting almost absolute best rates. Be it mortgage or anything else. Even overall us under 10% I've tested it many times. I have 11 credit cards. Iirc Equifax will state how many cards with balance. And how many over 30%   I lost 3 points the moment 1 card went over 30%

and got 5 points the next month when I paid it down. Now I believe what every one says. Keep all cards at zero. 1 card alone between 1-9%. But it's hard. My best scores personally is when that 1 cad is at 1% 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.