Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

Horribly low credit score:(

I bought a vehicle one year ago and have 5 cc's and my credit score was 551. Now I recently had 2 surgeries that put me out of work for 12+ weeks. So needless to say my payments were behind. I now have a score of 498 and want to purchase a home. I know that score is impossible to be approved with, so I need to know should I pay off the car (which we owe 11,000 on), or put the money down on the home? Either way I now have a lump sum of money to pay off the car and cards, and am unsure of what to do. Also, unsure if my score jump to possible mid 600's (after paying everything off) or am I dreaming?
Wish you the best!
Frequent Contributor

Re: Horribly low credit score:(

Pay your credit cards down to 1%-9% utilization. This should give you a nice bump as FICO does not like to see credit card utilization over 35%.

Also continue to make your payments on time. It would be a good idea to put a portion of the money in a high interest savings account. I have an account at Emigrant direct and earn 5.00% every month. I put $800.00 away three months ago and have already earned 13 dollars because the interest compounds daily and is credited monthly.

This helped me out quite a bit because I had an emergency bill and was able to take care of it straight away. I have also been receiving unemployment. This way, if you run into a little difficulty you have a cushion to fall back on. You do not have to put it in all the way. Start with $500-$1000 and add as you go.

I am confident that you will achieve your goals.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cecilia
Regular Contributor

Good advice.  If your delinquencies are worse than 30 days...you're probably looking at a good year before you can purchase, to be quite blunt.

As far as savings accounts, Emigrant is good.  HSBC and ING direct also have similar high-paying savings accounts.
From BK to 700 FICOs in 4.5 yrs.
New Visitor

Thank you two for your advice I am looking up the high interest savings now.
Wish you the best!
Frequent Contributor

Is your signifacant others scores as bad as yours as you could get the home
loan without you on it at first.?
Highlighted
New Visitor

His median score is 550(?) due to a divore and bk
Wish you the best!

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.