cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Accurate is the Credit Karma Score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Accurate is the Credit Karma Score?

My CK score has been 678 for the past year, no fluctuations at all. Meanwhile, my FICO has shown changes, and is currently 707 for TU. I only find CK useful for the free TU report every week to monitor when info is being updated.

I have a BK7 from 2008, a student loan, and 2 revolvers with perfect histories. So, CK always gives me an "F" for total accounts and a "D" for credit age (4 years). My guess is, I won't see much of a change there until those "grades" improve, and the BK falls off. At least I now know that the score is meaningless and where I actually stand, thanks to this place Smiley Happy 

Message 11 of 32
taxi818
Super Contributor

@mikemsceo wrote:

There are many threads that speak about it, but could not find a straight forward answer.

My TU score from ANNUAL CREDIT REPORT was...

675 as of 9/30/2014

I then checked my score again after registering with Credit Karma,....

My TU score was: 708 as of 10/02/2014

This score was "Powered by TU" so i am not sure how accurate it actually is?

Not accurate. The proble with credit karma are the paid collections. It does not factor them.  Hence higher score. Fico does not are. Paid or not. You take hit. 

Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CK score was just updated with a 29 point DROP to 687. 

That was after getting a CK "alert" that my cc balances went down by 3k, which is accurate. 

No other changes except my decrease in cc balances. 

At the same time my TU score here went UP 22 points to 707. 

Go figure. 

Bottom line in my opinion: all these services are good for long term trending and being an informed consumer when shopping for a mortgage or car loans, but expect to be surprised when your lender pulls their own report. 

One other note: on the CK credit simulator, if I decrease my cc balances by 20k, my 687 only goes to 691. On this site, a 20k paydown on my cc gives me a 60 point jump in my TU score. Somehow, I think (or at least would hope!) that is more accurate. 

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CK score and myFico score were both the same when I signed up for myFico, with the same info. 

I had my scores pulled the other day in applying for a mortgage- that TU score is 5 points lower than the CK and myFico scores of 641

A couple days ago, I had 2 collections removed from my report, and brought my cc utilization down to 8% from 26% and the credit limit raised $600 - this increased my CK score by 33 points to a 674, by my score here on myFico hasn't changed. 

The mortgage lender is going to pull again next week for the rate lock on the loan and I'll see then how those changes affect the score, but my CK score updated before the TU score on this site and it gives the same score....

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma is usefull for telling you when your accounts will report to TU. I use it to know when to pay my cards down to not show a balance. But their score is useless. Mine has put me back and forth from 638 to 645 a couple times. But for the most part my score almost never changes. My myfico TU score and my Barclay MC score are 707 and 704.

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Scores on Credit Karma are without a doubt inaccurate.  CK has my Transunion score as 757 and Equifax 744, while my FICO score is 821, thats 64 points higher than Transunion.   As one poster previously stated CM falsely lowers your score so that their advertisers (lenders) will offer you credit at a higher rate because your score is lower.    

Message 16 of 32
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Scores on Credit Karma are without a doubt inaccurate.  CK has my Transunion score as 757 and Equifax 744, while my FICO score is 821, thats 64 points higher than Transunion.   As one poster previously stated CM falsely lowers your score so that their advertisers (lenders) will offer you credit at a higher rate because your score is lower.    

Sounds like a good conspiracy theory........who knows.  They are constantly dropping things or adding things to your credit report.......may be part of the "Plan" to get biggner commissions from the lenders......Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 32
taxi818
Super Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like a good conspiracy theory........who knows.  They are constantly dropping things or adding things to your credit report.......may be part of the "Plan" to get biggner commissions from the lenders......Smiley LOL

The problem with conspiracy theories. No where credit karma say these were your fico scores. That's comparing Apples to oranges. They clearly state these are vantage 3.0 scores. So why would it possibly be the same as a fico score when it's not. Even fico 04 is different from fico 08. So this is kind of a mute point. 

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Idk why This question gets asked every single day . Multiple times .
Message 19 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Idk why This question gets asked every single day . Multiple times .

Because like it or not Credit Karma is the dominant score and report purveyor in the United States if I had to make an educated guess.

The service *is* legitimately good if one keeps it in perspective (and I'm a huge fan of CK personally and I've been on these forums and know scoring and underwriting better than a lot of people), it's well marketed, and it appears to be gaining enough money from the revenue model to continue pushing the benchmark forward.

Then they find out those scores don't match their FICO scores from a lender, either on a car or a house.

And they come here, and they get the story, then they find out that the current myFICO scores don't match said car or house.

It's a crappy situation.  I know FICO consumer is aware of it, I'm hoping they do something about it frankly and I'm idealistic enough to think that they will, I just don't know time nor details.

        
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.