Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Achieve FICO Scores Of 840+

tag
Henrietta23
Valued Member

How Do I Achieve FICO Scores Of 840+

My Experian score has been 839 for quite a long time.  My other scores are 809 and 810.  I have worked so hard to have high scores.  I am now thinking that it is false advertising to suggest that scores can be as high as 840 or 850.  I don't expect this ever to happen with me even though I am seemingly doing everything right in terms of suggestions given.

Comments anyone?

Message Edited by Henrietta23 on 07-02-2009 07:40 PM
Message Edited by fused on 02-07-2009 06:50 PM
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: How Do I Achieve FICO Scores Of 840+

Psychic has a score of 842 so it is not impossible to achieve very high scores. Keep in mind that FICO scores are based on statistics. In order to be 840 and above you would likely have to be more than 2 standard deviations above the average in terms of risk. This will be very difficult and therefore very few have such high scores. Your scores are great and you should be happy with them, don't stress about reaching the next level.

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 27
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Henrietta23!

My January 17th Experian score was 842!  This is what I can tell you:

• I have 8 revolving accounts (5 major credit cards, 3 store cards).
  • I have no mortgage or installment loans.
  • My utilization is 1%.  I show a monthly balance ($7) on only 1 account. 
  • My average age of accounts is 15 years. 
  • My oldest account was opened 30 years, 2 months ago.

When my length of credit history was 29 years, my EX score was 831.  When my credit history turned 30, my score jumped to 842.  I suspect there might be a score bump on Experian at 30 years, but this is just speculation. 

Message Edited by psychic on 02-08-2009 11:41 AM
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 3 of 27
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@psychic wrote:

Hi Henrietta23!

When my length of credit history was 29 years, my EX score was 831.  When my credit history turned 30, my score jumped to 842.  I suspect there might be a score bump on Experian at 30 years, but this is just speculation. 

Oldest account and AAofA is the obvious key. Utilization can always be fixed. I would bet age is at least 50 points plus or minus. 

Message 4 of 27
MattH
Senior Contributor

@psychic wrote:

Hi Henrietta23!

I'll hit the 30-year mark in 2012 since my oldest account was opened in 1982, I wonder if Experian will by then have reversed their decision to stop letting myfico sell us our scores next week...

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 5 of 27
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Where are you getting the scores that you post?  It is the source of the scoring model, and not the source of the CRA data (e.g., "Experian") that governs the score. There is no such thing as an "Experian score" per se.  There are FICO and non-FICO (e.g., Vantage, and others) scores based on Experian data.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 major credit cards which I use only for financial recordkeeping and no store accounts. I have not had any installment debt for over 20 years. My mortgage was paid off in 1994. I have paid my credit card balances in full every month for over 20 years. With all that my most recent score was 805.

I get gigged because I have month end balances. How can I not have balances when I charge everything on my credit card which closes off on the 13th of every month and I pay it almost immediately. However, I still charge items between the 13th and month end.

It seems to me that the FICO scoring model is severely flawed in this context.

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

After appliying for a HELOC at BofA, my Experian FICO score came back as 882.  My wife's FICO came back as 853.  I am hopelessly confused, as I understood the maximum was 850.  The form I received from Experian says: "Your FICO credit score on January 9, 2009 was 00882.  In general, FICO credit scores range between 300 to 850."  I called Experian, and they said if the form says it is FICO, it is FICO, not Vantage or something else.  Fair Isaac says not possible to get more than 850.  Bank of America says it is possible to get more than 850 on your FICO.

So should I be expecially pleased that I beat the max (kind of like getting a GPA of better than 4.0), or is somebody (Experian, Fair Isaac, or B of A) feeding me a line?  How do I confirm my FICO score without having to pay the $15.00?

Message 8 of 27
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Your scores are definitely not FICO scores. Fico's scores do not "in general" range from 300-850 the are from 300-850. It is not possible to exceed 850--in fact some have suggested that it is not really possible to even obtain an 850. The scores you obtained are probably Vantage scores which range to 950 (I think). My guess is that your score report has some qualifier with respect to the FICO scores comment (a FICO like scores for example). FICO scores must come from Fair Isaac. To report a score as a FICO which does not use the Fair Isaac model would be a violation.

@Anonymous wrote:

After appliying for a HELOC at BofA, my Experian FICO score came back as 882.  My wife's FICO came back as 853.  I am hopelessly confused, as I understood the maximum was 850.  The form I received from Experian says: "Your FICO credit score on January 9, 2009 was 00882.  In general, FICO credit scores range between 300 to 850."  I called Experian, and they said if the form says it is FICO, it is FICO, not Vantage or something else.  Fair Isaac says not possible to get more than 850.  Bank of America says it is possible to get more than 850 on your FICO.

So should I be expecially pleased that I beat the max (kind of like getting a GPA of better than 4.0), or is somebody (Experian, Fair Isaac, or B of A) feeding me a line?  How do I confirm my FICO score without having to pay the $15.00?

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.  Experian told me point blank that it was NOT Vantage.  The form had no qualifiers.  However, further research leads me to believe the 882 is a "bankcard enhanced" FICO, which would have a range of 250 to 900.  I went ahead and paid for my "real" FICO, and it came up at 793.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.